Happy

The sound of a melodramatic, audible sigh awoke me from my slumber, the sound proceeded by a murmured voice saying, "Find a way to distract your mother and uncles while I attempt to get my little brother back to his chambers without being seen." In response, a second voice scoffed, mumbling sarcastically, "Good luck."

Despite knowing exactly what was about to occur, I wrapped my arms tighter around Audrey Rose's sleeping figure, burying my face into the warm skin of her neck.

"Good morning bride and groom to be," Daciana chirped from the opposite side of the room, and even though I had my eyes closed, I knew she wore our signature Cresswell smirk. I groaned, holding Audrey Rose impossibly closer to my chest. Either my emphasized whine of protest or my movements against her body caused Audrey Rose to shift beneath me, slowly waking from her tranquil slumber.

Stretching her body across the bed, Audrey Rose let out a soft moan before peeking an emerald eye open, her gaze locked on my face. She smiled softly at me, her expression lazy, peaceful. "Good morning, my darling," Audrey Rose mumbled beneath her breath, her voice slightly raspy.

Raising her chin in an attempt to capture my lips in her own, I pulled my face away from hers, gaining a frown of disappointment in return. The sight nearly broke my heart, knowing that Audrey Rose thought it was because I didn't want to kiss her—which couldn't have been further from the truth, prompting me to elaborate as I brushed her hair back from her temple, "We have a visitor, love."

I glanced towards Daciana, Audrey Rose's eyes following my gaze. Instantly, she pulled the bed covers up to her chin in an attempt for some form of modesty, cheeks turning a bright shade of pink as she murmured softly, "Hello, Daci."

Daciana offered her a kind smile in return before raising her brows as she spoke, "I hate to break up this lovely, romantic moment, however, I have come to retrieve my scoundrel of a brother."

Instead of pulling away from Audrey Rose, I nuzzled the side of her neck with my nose, gently brushing her skin as I held her closer. Loud enough for Daci to hear, I murmured, "Let me embrace this remarkable occasion for a brief moment before you send me back to my chambers, dear sister of mine."

"You will be able to embrace it for the rest of your life in just a short few hours once you become husband and wife. Then you may execute as many scandalous activities you wish without any consequences from society," Daciana retorted. I could sense the growing annoyance in her tone, something I had missed dearly while she was busy travelling on her world tour. I may have loved Daci with my entire heart, but I also loved being a nuisance—possibly just as much so. I smirked against the skin of Audrey Rose's neck, breathing in her familiar scent. Once Daciana realized I made no move to speak, she added, "Thomas, if you do not leave now, Lord Wadsworth will find you in your current state and most certainly revoke his permission to your sacrament."

I tugged Audrey Rose impossibly closer, hearing her make the faintest giggle as I did so. My lips were pressed against her skin, making my words come out hardly audible as I argued, "Audrey Rose was more than willing to elope on the Etruria long before we got her father's approval—or even her ring for that matter. I doubt his sudden change of heart would alter Audrey Rose's profounding love and adoration for me."

Audrey Rose's smooth palms met with either of my cheeks, lifting my face to meet her gaze. I offered her a charming, soft smirk, receiving a likewise smile in acknowledgment. "As much as this pains me to say, Thomas, Daciana is right."

"At least one of you has common sense."

Turning my head, I flashed my elder sister a glare before Audrey Rose seized my attention back to her, her fingertips delicate against my jawline. Audrey Rose resumed, "In a mere few hours, we will be free to act as indecent as we'd like, whenever we'd like. You may kiss me and hold me and sleep in my bed whenever you wish. However, for that to occur, you must leave my chambers so I may begin preparing for our wedding."