Useless Woman

Thomas, Uncle, and I had gotten home from Chicago a few days ago and we were working on a new case. However, the last person I wanted to see had also joined. Superintendent William Blackburn. He made his way over to Thomas and I while Uncle was busy looking over some paperwork. 

"Audrey Rose Wadsworth," Blackburn began, grabbing my ungloved hand in his own and kissing my knuckles. I managed to suppress my disgusted face, replacing it with a smile. I knew Thomas was glaring daggers at him, but I couldn't say anything without revealing mine and Thomas's relationship that was still without my father's approval. William continued, "it is always a pleasure." He turned his attention over to Thomas. "And if it isn't Thomas Cresswell. I'm honestly shocked they haven't arrested you for some kind of murder yet."

"What do you want, Blackburn?" I spoke before Thomas got the chance. Blackburn looked back at me and smirked. The way he smirked was so different from Thomas's smirk. Thomas's was loving and charming whereas William's was dark and lustful. As though he only saw my body when he looked at me.

Blackburn answered, "I heard about your leg injury from your trip to Chicago and I wanted to see how you were recovering. I'm just being a caring friend, Audrey Rose."

"Don't use my Christian name, you know how inappropriate that is. And when have we ever been 'friends'?" I spoke, not bothering to hide the repulsion in my tone.

Blackburn continued as if I hadn't spoken, "this is why we shouldn't allow women in this field, it's far too dangerous for them. I mean look what happened to you. A real man like myself would've never allowed this to happen to you. Maybe you should consider spending your time with a more...suitable influence." He had not-so-subtly glanced towards Thomas while he spoke, causing me to bite my lip before I began to yell at him. Instead, I only replied, "I'll have you know, Blackburn, that my injury isn't because I'm some useless women, but rather because I jumped in front of a knife to save Thomas's life."

He seemed taken aback for a moment before scoffing and saying to Thomas, "how embarrassing for you, you had to be saved by a girl."

I thought Thomas was going to slap him, but Thomas only replied, "not embarrassed, Blackburn. Honoured." If it was even possible, I managed to fall further in love with him.

William was silent for a moment, trying to find something to insult either of us with and spoke, "Wadsworth, I don't see a ring on your left hand so why are you referring to Cresswell by his Christian name? I thought you said it was 'inappropriate'?"

"Thomas! Audrey Rose! Come look at this for a moment!" Uncle called out in the most convenient moment. Blackburn scowled and began to walk away when I moved my cane slightly, causing him to trip and fall onto the ground. I turned around and in the most innocent, naive, voice possible said, "oh my! I'm so incredibly sorry! Adjusting the cane has been so difficult, you know? Seeing as I am just some pointless young woman."

I turned and began walking in Uncle's direction, Thomas following beside me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Thomas look back towards Blackburn before leaning down to whisper in my ear, "have I ever told you how much I love you?"

I peeked up and him and smiled. "I do believe so, but I never get tired of hearing it."

Thomas let out a breathy chuckle and said, "I love you. And if there weren't so many people around I'd push you up against the wall and kiss you until you forgot your own name."

My cheeks flushed as we finally made it over to Uncle Jonathan. He quirked a brow and asked, "do either of you know why Superintendent Blackburn is on the floor?"

Thomas and I both shook our heads and shrugged, trying to hide our growing laughter. However unladylike I had been, at least I no longer had to worry about Blackburn wanting to gain my hand in marriage.

***

Word Count: 703