Panic Attack

Thomas Cresswell having a panic attack w audrey rose comforting him???? 😍😍😍

Thomas wasn't insecure about many things. He knew he was pleasing to the eyes of many, had an above average intelligence, and had a fun yet controversial wit, all of which were qualities that he didn't detest. However, one aspect of his persona that Thomas was always insecure about was Audrey Rose's affection. Ever since he had first met her in Professor Wadsworth's laboratory all those months ago, Thomas had felt undeserving of having such a brilliant, exquisite, extraordinary individual in his life, but now that she was his wife and not just an acquaintance, it made him feel undeserving of her even more so. Despite this, Thomas had managed to persevere, to wrap his mind around the fact that Audrey Rose wanted to be with him. That she loved him. After so long, he had finally begun to understand that he was not unworthy of her love, rather that they were equals—neither above nor below the other.

Those dark thoughts had managed to slip from Thomas's mind during the first few months of his and Audrey Rose's new life as a married pair. Instead, he had opted for merely appreciating and embracing every moment he spent with her, truly soaking in all of her love and affection.

Everything had been on an upward slope since his traumatic childhood, specifically now that he had Audrey Rose in his life. That was until the day Thomas had received a letter from a name he hadn't heard or seen in many months, far before his and Audrey Rose's initial engagement.

Lord Richard Abbott Cresswell.

His father.

At first, Thomas had been reluctant to read the letter, not wanting to tear open old wounds that had finally begun to heal, however, he knew he couldn't ignore his father forever. And with a slow exhale, Thomas carefully opened the letter and removed it from its pristine envelope, unfolding the piece of paper to see his father's elegant script.

By the time Thomas had finished reading the letter not once, but twice, he was too stunned by the final lines to even fret about the mention of Daciana's return to England after spending many months travelling around Europe with Ileana.

I request your presence at the Cresswell estate immediately. It is urgent.

Lord Cresswell

It appeared as though even his own father wasn't capable of referring to himself as such within the valediction of a letter, let alone in person. Additionally, the absence of the word "sincerely" before Richard's title also contributed to Thomas's uncontrollable eye roll, internalizing the fact that his father had such little care for him that he didn't even bother including such a sentiment.

Despite the strong urge to toss the letter into the rubbish beside his desk and act as though it had never arrived to begin with, he knew he had no other choice than to attend whatever it was that was so vital for his debut. With a long sigh and brush of his fingers through his unruly curls, Thomas stood from his desk and turned to face the doorway, though upon first glance, he spotted a familiar figure standing in the doorframe, Audrey Rose.

"That was quite the dramatic exhale, my dear Cresswell. Are you alright?" she asked as she took a slow step into the study, cocking her head to the side with piqued interest.

Thomas ran his thumb across his lower lip in thought before dropping his arm, his forefinger rapping gently against the side of his thigh. It was an old habit, one Thomas frequently executed when he had lived at the Cresswell estate with his father, each tap of his finger matching the rhythm of the elaborate grandfather clock in the dining hall. The gentle taps had helped to keep his mind focused when his body craved nicotine, though now that Thomas had quit smoking over a year ago, the tapping was just a functionless, lingering habit, specifically noticeable when his anxiety was heightened, much like the present moment.