Mistakes

Thomas and Audrey Rose were just leaving the room when Jonathan Wadsworth called out, "Thomas, may I speak with you for a moment?" The newly engaged couple turned in the doorway as Jonathan added, "alone."

Audrey Rose made a perplexed expression but nodded regardless. She leaned up, pressing a kiss to Thomas's cheek, and whispered something in his ear. He captured her lips in his briefly before bidding her farewell and facing Jonathan once more. "Why did you wish to speak with me, Dr. Wadsworth?"  

"Come sit down with me, Thomas," Jonathan began. "I've had something on my mind recently, ever since my niece's and your announcement."

Thomas quirked a brow. "You mean our engagement?" Jonathan nodded slowly. Thomas continued, "what about it?"

"Thomas, you're aware of my past engagement to Emma Elizabeth Smith, correct?" Jonathan started and Thomas shook his head in confirmation. "I loved her. Despite what she may have thought, I loved her. However, I also loved science. As you know, Emma wasn't fond of science, especially the fact that I thought quite the opposite. It put a strain on our relationship—our varying opinions. I tried to make it work with her, balancing my love for her and my passion for science, but ultimately Emma wanted me to choose. She wanted me to choose between the two things I loved most: her or science. As much as I loved Emma, I couldn't give up such a large part of my life for her, so she broke off our engagement. She refused to ever speak with me again, saying she'd rather go penniless than put up with my occupation. I loved her deeply, whether she knew that or not, but despite my feelings, I couldn't force myself to live without science."

Thomas remained silent for a moment, waiting to see if Jonathan was finished. "I'm sorry, but what does this have to do with me?"

Jonathan sighed. "Thomas, you remind me of myself when I was young. Intelligent, charming, and wholly in love with forensics. Now that you and Audrey Rose are engaged, I don't want you to make the same mistakes I did. Now, I'm not saying that I regret losing Emma for science because I don't, but I regret not communicating my feelings better. I fear that she died not knowing to the extent that I loved her, that I wanted to choose science over her when I didn't. That is what I want you to be cautious of. I know your relationship with my niece isn't under the same circumstances as mine and Emma's engagement due to Audrey Rose's interest for science, but never forget to show her how you feel."

At the mention of Audrey Rose, Thomas beamed. "As much as I appreciate your concern, Dr. Wadsworth, I don't think expressing my feelings for Audrey Rose will be a challenge. I would go to the ends of the earth for her."

Jonathan smiled faintly and said, "I know, son. And that is what sets us apart as individuals."

Thomas's brows rose at the endearment. Son. Thomas had never had a decent father figure in his life until he had met Jonathan Wadsworth and being called 'son' had filled him with an odd sense of approval. Thomas couldn't contain his grin, something that only happened when he was with Audrey Rose.

Jonathan stood up from his seat, Thomas copying the action. Thomas held out a hand for a handshake but Jonathan instead pulled him into a firm hug, patting him on the back. Thomas's eyes went wide but embraced him back nonetheless. Jonathan said, "Audrey Rose is the closest thing I have to a daughter and I want to thank you for making her so happy after everything she's gone through. I couldn't picture a better man becoming her husband—my nephew-in-law."

When the two pulled away, Thomas couldn't help but stare at Jonathan. He shook his head in order to make coherent thoughts and managed, "I—thank you."

Dr. Wadsworth smirked at his apprentice and said, "if you ever need to talk to someone, let me know Thomas. I understand what your relationship with your father is like, so just remember I'm here if you need me." Thomas nodded not knowing what else to say, but he had a feeling Jonathan knew all of his unspoken words, that he knew exactly what role he played in Thomas's life. Jonathan added, "Audrey Rose is probably waiting for you, Thomas. Best to go catch up to her."

With that, Thomas Cresswell left the room, making his way to his fiancé's chambers. "What was that all about?" Audrey Rose asked once he has shut the door behind him.

Thomas proceeded to break down into sobs as he told Audrey Rose everything that had just happened.

And Audrey Rose knew exactly why he was crying. 

***

Word Count: 810