A Melancholy Ballad

It was early in the morning when Audrey Rose Cresswell awoke to the elegant sound of her Father's grand piano echoing down the hallway, into her sleeping chambers. Herself and Thomas had been married for only a few months, at last, taking the opportunity of their spare weekend to visit Edmund Wadsworth for the first time since they had wed. They had been sharing Audrey Rose's childhood sleeping chambers, together on the bed—much smaller than the one they were used to in their estate.

Audrey Rose lazily reached out for Thomas beneath the sheets, only to be met with a cold, empty space of the bed. Peeking an eye open, Audrey Rose saw that indeed her husband was no longer asleep beside her. She frowned slightly, wishing to be wrapped in his warm embrace or kissed into oblivion. Perhaps both.

Standing from the bed, Audrey Rose soundlessly made her way out of her chambers, down the long, dark hallway, until she had made it to the large, primarily empty chamber of her old home—save for the sleek black grand piano present in the centre of the room. At first glance, she spotted Thomas sitting on the piano bench, his nimble fingers brushing across the keys.

Audrey Rose crossed her arms over her chest as she leaned against the frame of the doorway, silently watching Thomas as he played. She stood there for many minutes, soaking in the rich, melancholy ballad he performed, the song filled so intensely with emotion and power that it nearly forced a tear down the length of her cheek.

Eventually, the sound of the keys began to fade into a softer tone, however, the feeling the song possessed never left despite the decrease in volume. At last, it faded into silence, a silence so mute that Audrey Rose swore she couldn't even hear herself breathe.

"I know you are there, my love," Thomas spoke, not bothering to turn and face her as he spoke. His gaze remained forward, staring at his hands that rested lightly upon the white keys of the piano though he made no sound.

Audrey Rose took a hesitant step towards him. "I did not know that you could play. Although it seems I should have assumed so. I'm beginning to think there is nothing you cannot do."

Thomas turned his head, meeting her gaze in order to flash her a swift upward tilt of his lip, nothing more. "I guess I am merely full of surprises." He faced the piano once again, moving sideways along the bench before tapping the now empty seat beside him. Audrey Rose understood and crossed the distance between them, seating herself beside him and taking his hand in her own. Her other hand moved to his chin, gently turning his head to face her. She brushed her thumb across the tip of his chin, studying the deep look in his eyes.

After quite some time of silence, Thomas spoke, "My mother taught me to play when I was young. While Daciana was busy reading novels or terrorizing other children, my mother would sit me upon her lap and guide my fingers across the keys. Eventually, it became a way for me to escape—similar to how I spent my time painting as a young boy—to escape from the reality that was my father." He paused, visibly holding back silver tears. Thomas sniffled before adding, "I hadn't played since she passed so I deeply apologize for how atrocious I most certainly sounded. If I had known my wife was going to listen I would have practiced beforehand." He managed a short, effortless chuckle.

Audrey Rose slid her hand to cup his cheek, running her thumb across the smooth skin of his cheekbone. "It was amazing Thomas. Truly exquisite." She leaned forward, pressing her lips to his in a soft kiss. "I never learned, however, Nathaniel used to play when we were children. He hated it, but my mother insisted it was a good skill to learn—that it would teach him to focus. After a few years of begrudged playing, Nathaniel grew to enjoy it and often performed pieces for both my mother and I—occasionally my father as well when he was not preoccupied with Lord business. Liza too when she would visit! I do not think this piano has been used since."

Thomas looked down at the instrument before him, ghosting his fingers across the edge of the piano, appreciating the beauty and grace it possessed. He faced Audrey Rose once again,  "Perhaps we should return to our sleeping chambers. I do not wish to awake your father at this early hour and quite frankly, I do not mind spending a few more hours in bed with you."

Audrey Rose could feel the weight in his tone—the exhaustion. She knew that Thomas didn't want to return to bed for the sake of making love for hours, but rather holding each other close while silently thanking whatever higher power that may exist for having one another. That despite all the pain and suffering the both of them had gone through, they managed to find their way to each other. For the rest of their lives and whatever may come after that, they would always have each other.

"Then let us go."

***

Word Count: 888