Alive

Cressworth during CTD, person A being tortured in front of person B by the antagonist (AR is A, Thomas is B) :)

The world had taken an unexpected turn.

Instead of capturing the devil—the clever businessman H.H. Holmes—like we had originally anticipated, he had somehow managed to capture us, more specifically, Audrey Rose.

Seeing her against his chest—a knife pressed firmly against her throat—momentarily brought me back to London all those months ago, in the dark alley where Audrey Rose and I had shared our first kiss. A similar feeling from that night ran through my veins at the sight of her practically helpless in his unwanted embrace, that same fear and terror that Audrey Rose could die in a matter of moments.

With my hands raised to either side of my head, showcasing that I possessed no weapons, I took a hesitant step towards the psychotic killer and my future wife, ultimately halting when Holmes snarled, "If you move any closer, I will not hesitate to slide this blade right across your pretty little lover's throat."

My breath hitched, afraid that even the slightest rise and fall of my chest would be enough motivation for H.H. Holmes to commit his sadistic crime. Despite the tears in my own eyes, blurring my vision, I could scarcely make out the fountain of tears pouring down Audrey Rose's cheeks, her gentle sobs of fright against the murderer's touch. As badly as I wished to throw myself across the room, I prevented myself from doing so, knowing it wasn't worth the risk while Audrey Rose's life remained at stake.

"Please," I cried out, my knees shaking beneath me. "Please don't do this." When I gained no response, I continued, "You and I, Holmes, we are more alike than you may believe. We are both relatively young men fascinated with science and anatomy. We wish to see the world the way it is, not the way humans believe it to be. You studied medicine, correct? Why waste away your life and intelligence as a murderer, an evil being, when you could use your intellectual gifts as a way to help people. To save them. You have the chance to make this right, Holmes. I'm offering you your only chance at redemption, do you truly wish to throw that away?"

I exhaled slowly as tears fell down my cheeks, falling off of my jaw, drop by drop. For a brief moment, I saw contemplation upon H.H. Holmes's features, taking the opportunity to take a small step forward.

Within that very instant, Audrey Rose screamed, a sound so earth-shattering that her yells on the Etruria didn't compare. A likewise scream sounded from my own throat as I lunged forward, collapsing to the floor in front of where Audrey Rose's limp, bloodstained body now laid. I pulled her body into my lap, cupping her face in my hand. Her pale cheek was growing cold in my palm as I brushed my thumb against her cheekbone, moans of agony still roaring out of me. My hand ghosted down the column of her neck, my thumb grazing over the torn skin of her throat, coming away stained in vibrant red blood. I pressed my fingers against the side of her neck, waiting for something I knew would never come. Her pulse.

Audrey Rose, my fiancée, the mother to my future children, my forensic crime-solving partner, the woman who owned every part of my now cold, shattered heart, was dead in my arms.

And I would never get her back.

My eyes shot open in the dark, gasping sharply in an attempt to get air into my lungs.

Breathe. Breathe.

I couldn't stop the rapid beating of my heart, the dribbles of sweat plastering my hair to my forehead, the shakiness of my hands. My hands. I glanced down, my blurry tear-filled gaze meeting with the darkened silhouette of Audrey Rose, softly asleep in my arms.

Alive. She's alive.

With my body trembling from adrenaline and fear, as gently as possible given my current state, I tugged Audrey Rose closer to my chest. I placed a sloppy kiss to her forehead before tucking her beneath my chin, allowing me to feel the warmth of her breath against my neck.