The Phantom Moonlight Killer - Cressworth

Request: could u write something about Audrey having a near-death experience and Thomas can only watch and is helpless? I legit love everything that you write it's all so amazing!!

We'd been dancing for hours along the ballroom floor, Audrey Rose's deep violet gown complementing the lilac colour of my waistcoat. I had to admit, we made quite the dashing pair—even whilst hunting down a career murderer. Often Audrey Rose and I declined our invitations to elegant balls, both for our preferred past times of laying in one another's arms whilst kissing and because of Audrey Rose's leg. Her injury from the Etruria had healed immensely well over the years, though her limp lingered, as did minor pain when aggravated from standing, walking, and—as was the case of the present moment—dancing. Nevertheless, neither of our excuses proved useful for this particular occasion, given that we had no choice but to attend if we wished to save lives.

Our current case was a complex one—an emotional one. It was clear by the selection of the victims that the killer, whomever it was, had an emotional motivation to their horrible acts, not the work of a psychopath—the term German Psychiatrist Julius Ludwig August Koch declared for those with moral insanity back in 1888. We were dealing with a sentimental murderer, not an individual who killed for pleasure or entertainment. They possessed a method to their madness; there was order in the chaos, a factor I found all too fascinating.

Their many victims fit the same pattern; women in their early twenties to mid thirties, high status, and happily married with no children. The murders always occurred at balls hosted by rich families, the victim and their husband beyond joyous during the entire evening—according to witnesses. What was truly peculiar was how only the wives lost their lives, no harm came to their equally as in love husbands. And from the investigating Audrey Rose, Professor Jonathan and I had done, not one of these tragic victims were involved with prostitution, adultery, or any other less-than-proper affairs, showcasing no outwards motive for killing these specific individuals. As well, there were no found connections between the victims or their husbands—not a single one of them had ever met, leaving myself, Dr. Wadsworth and Audrey Rose quite puzzled.

Seeing as we had no proper leads or evidence to suggest any particular individual as the killer, Jonathan had suggested we lure in the murderer ourselves, using Audrey Rose and myself as bait—a factor I was vastly hesitant about. Considering the nature of the case, offering Audrey Rose and I to the killer seemed like a risk I was not willing to take, though she had insisted upon this plan, and I was in no place to make that decision for her. Regardless of the outcome, I would remain unharmed. The issue was the fact Audrey Rose's life didn't have the same certainty.

I forced my attention back to the current moment; Audrey Rose and I dancing along the ballroom floor, acting as though we were simply an overly in love married couple—not an overly in love married couple who were tracking down a career murderer.

"Thomas?" Drawing my eyes to Audrey Rose's face, I hummed softly in acknowledgment. "Have you noticed anything out of the ordinary? Anything suspicious?"

I scanned the room as Audrey Rose and I continued dancing, focusing on every detail I was able. Eventually, I shook my head, returning my gaze to her own. She frowned slightly. Either our plan to capture the killer was not working the way we had originally anticipated or the killer was taking a day off. Regardless, we were no closer to identifying the killer now than we were three days ago—possibly more so. Releasing a sigh, I asked, "You?"

Audrey Rose shook her head before her eyes widened, indicating she possessed an idea. She offered me a wicked grin, a smirk Satan himself—or even our darling cat Sir Isaac Mewton—would be envious of. "Perhaps your acting abilities are not as good as you pride yourself for, Cresswell. Maybe our display isn't...overt enough for The Phantom Moonlight Killer."