Chapter 11~ How do Feelings Work?

Friday night went by without much of anything happening. I met Gene's dad for the first time, and I managed to not feel nauseous while talking to him or Gene's mom! Sleeping in the basement wasn't much of a problem, so again, nothing exciting.

Currently, it was Saturday afternoon, and I was chilling in the basement. By that, I mean I was staring at the ceiling. Why approach my friend when I can just hope they approach me, but how about I still feel neglected? It's not dire that Gene and I hang out while I'm at his house, right?

That is completely incorrect! I heard creaks from the basement stairs, and Gene soon appeared in front of me. "What are you doing?" he questioned.

I sat up and shrugged. "Absolutely nothing, I guess? I'm also just thinking about life."

"Sounds fun. Mind if I join you?" he asked.

"I'm always cool with having an existential crisis with people," I replied.

Gene sat down a foot away from me. "...I already had one of those yesterday, so I'll pass on having one today."

"I think I know what you're talking about. The whole, I hate myself and the world thing?" I mean, same, but when I have break downs I take it with my pillow, or at least make sure no one's nearby! "What's up with that?"

"I don't really know. Just...emotions? Feelings? Something like that." Gene stated.

"Oof," I simply said.

"Exactly. You really get me, Y/n."

"I'm just that great. If only I got myself." I laughed sheepishly.

Gene awkwardly patted my head. "There...there? I think I have a mutual understanding of you like you have for me."

This situation was definitely interesting for me, as my other friends aren't like this with me. We know each other well enough, but I can't say we're too emotional with each other. Yeah, we question the purpose of life together a lot, but... I don't really know. THIS HITS DIFFERENT MAN!

I felt myself smile. "Thanks, Gene."

He suddenly hugged me, and I momentarily sat there before hugging back. This definitely isn't something I do with my other friends, but it doesn't feel forced, despite the sudden action. I could hear Gene's heart beating fast, and that made me know for sure that it was all real.

Gene broke the silence. "I seriously think... I like you."

I started feeling incredibly hot, and my heart started beating rapidly. I then did something really spontaneous. By really spontaneous, I mean... IkindasortakissedGene, and hekindasortakissedback, causing me to slightly die and ahhhh!

After pulling away from each other, we just blinked at each other a few times. What do you do or say after that happens? Should I apologize for my sudden move? Do I say something funny? Do I laugh about how I just had my first kiss in a basement that's carpeted, is used as a storage room, but just enough space for a few people? Is I like you too something important to say?!

As I tend to say, I broke the silence with something really unintelligible. "Uhhhh."

"That is so you to say something like that. Not so you for, how to address this...? Kissing me. Really bold of you, and I think I like you more now!" Gene opened the window to me freaking out.

I buried my face in my hands. "I'm so frickin embarrassed."

"Well, I'm hurt. Did that kiss have no meaning to you? Ouch." Gene seemed to be taking the 'say something funny' method to this. Rather than saying something funny, he was just being his sarcastic self.