Chapter 22~ Far From Perfect

My parents thankfully didn't mind that I had other plans tomo- well, today. Right now I was pacing around the room, trying to figure out how I was gonna get clothes for my...date? I guess that's what it is. I'm still in my biological parents house, meaning all that I own isn't within accessibility. Obviously I'll have to go home and pick out an outfit, but how? It's gonna be so awkward going there! What if M/n and D/n are pissed?

Snapping me out of my state, Mom walked into the room. "First date jitters?" she questioned.

I tapped my fingers to my thighs. "I have the butterflies, but something else is freaking me the freak out."

Mom tilted her head. "What's on your mind?"

"Clothes!" I blurted. "They're all at home, and I don't know how I can go back there!"

"You'd have to go back anyways, Y/n. All your school stuff is there, even if you did want to stay here for the weekend." Mom reminded. "If it's too hard today...you have to go tomorrow. I should be able to help you with an outfit today."

I took Mom's offer, as I really didn't want to see my adoptive parents. Mom lead me to her closet and showed me some clothes that I'd fit in. I found a dress that I really liked; it was white with red and white roses dancing all around it. It went down to my knees.

A soft sigh escaped Mom's lips, causing me to turn to look at her. "I wore that dress the day Axel proposed. It...doesn't fit me anymore, but I just can't get rid of it."

I gazed at the dress for a while. "It's really cute," I said before putting it away.

"Why did you put it away?" Mom asked.

"I don't think I'm worthy of wearing such an important dress." I sheepishly laughed. "For a first date, too."

She shook her head. "This really is just any ordinary dress. Yes, it's very cute and means a lot to me, but you wouldn't wear this to meet the queen. It's perfect for a date." She drew the dress back out from the closet.

"I don't think it's suited for November weather, now that I think about it," I remarked.

"Put a cardigan on it and wear some leggings." She pulled out the other items of clothing. "You're going to look absolutely adorable!"

There was a knock on the closet door, and Dad came in. "I couldn't help but overhear! Y/n is almost an exact replica of you, honey. Of course she'll look adorable." He quickly added, "With Y/n's own special charm, her date will be nothing short of perfect. If not...well Gene's gonna hear from me!" Dad chuckled.

This is some movie scenario... Girl going on a date, supportive dad that's gonna give an earful to the guy his daughter's with, mom that helps out with date preparation... That just leaves for the date. Let's see, where's the big mess up gonna happen? Everything was going well so far, so I was predisposed to the date messing up. I shook my head. There aren't gonna be any mess ups! Things are gonna be just fine.

*~o~o~o~*

Being optimistic apparently works. Every moment starting from Gene picking me up at 2:30 PM to now was smooth sailing. Hours had past, and it was now 7 PM. We were currently chatting after eating dinner at the fine establishment that is Chili's. I had quickly quoted the famous vine upon arrival.

"I get we're at what I assume is your favorite restaurant, but you look way too excited for this." Gene gave me a questioning look.

"I've never eaten out at a restaurant before, so this was a new experience for me." I glanced around the room. It wasn't anything magical, but I still felt overjoyed. "Mom an- Er. M/n and D/n eat out sometimes, but it's usually just them, unless it's a business meeting."