Chapter 16~ Cat and Mouse

It's always the days that you really, REALLY want to go by fast that take the longest. It took a painstakingly long time for first and second period to go by. Once algebra ended, I bolted out of the classroom to get my stuff for music, and went straight to it. I was in such a rush that I was the first one to arrive.

"Y/n, are you okay? You're out of breath! Excited for music today?" Mr. Patterson laughed.

I shrugged. "Uh...yeah." I knew Gene wouldn't be one of the first to be in class, but I still looked around.

"Looking for someone you have class with?" Mr. Patterson questioned. "I think I can guess who."

My eyes dropped to my feet. "It's that obvious?"

"You're always talking to him, and I think he only attends class because of you... I hear you two whispering to each when I'm trying to teach all the time." Mr. Patterson observed.

I slightly heated up. "Sorry about that... I'll try to fix that."

"It isn't a problem, Y/n. As long as no one's bothered by you two, you're doing well in my class, and I can teach over you. I understand how you high schoolers are with crushes. Especially a sophomore like you with a senior. Trying to get into prom?" Mr. Patterson joked. "Ah. Other students are starting to arrive. I'm gonna get class ready."

I nodded and took my seat. To pass the time, I was left in a daydream, when I started nodding off. I was jolted awake when I was poked in the cheek. I looked to my left to see Gene, who's shoulder my head was resting on.

"Sorry," I mumbled.

A playful smile immediately overtook Gene's expression. "Not a problem. Except for the fact that I learn that you drool a lot in your sleep."

I wiped my mouth with the sleeve of my uniform, just to make sure there wasn't any drool remaining. Gene took off his blazer. "I could undoubtedly fill a bucket with how much you drooled."

That's just exactly what you want someone to find out about you, right? My Irene I hope he's over exaggerating with the amount of drool. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. "I guess I haven't gotten much sleep lately... I also might have a sleeping disorder, but my parents only take me to the doctor if I need shots for school."

"That sucks." He quickly added, "The fact that you aren't getting sleep concerns me, obviously."

"Things have just been keeping me up, I guess. Oh, which reminds me... I ran into Zane today, and he has a picture that could get us, as well as Sasha and Zenix in trouble, so I promised to let him know why you hate him and won't let him join your gang." I informed. "So, what's the tea? A reason other than, 'he's a poser' would be appreciated."

Gene immediately jumped into replying. "He's too desperate. You know that I need a mouse to play with, and Zane doesn't suffice. He wants to join the Shadow Knights cause he doesn't like being compared to Garroth."

"Ah, so your group doesn't let any emo kid in?" I mused.

"We aren't just a group of emo kids. We're-"

I cut him off, having heard it a few times before. "I know. Too smart for school kids that don't see the point of attending class, believing that there's nothing to learn. Oh, and how could I forget? You like the game of cat and mouse."

Gene smirked. "You catch on fast. Sometimes."

"Yeah..." I trailed off, but I picked back up soon enough. "Why do you ask me if I want to join? Your whole philosophy completely opposes asking someone. Also, I'm not even smart."

He blanked out for a couple of seconds, giving me the impression that he didn't have something to counteract me saying that I'm not smart, aka dumb. "Well, you aren't stupid, at least. You just sometimes aren't the brightest crayon in the box."