Chapter 19~ Then and Now

The Shadow Knights were back before art ended, and upon their arrival, Laurance went back to his seat after saying that we should talk more often. The group of three took their seats and all sighed in unison. The counselor must've delivered bad news... I don't know if I'm gonna be able to take it.

Gene dropped his head onto the table and I looked down at him, while he looked up at me. "The three of us were given two options," he informed.

I rested my head on the table. "What were those options?"

"Be unable to attend field trips and after school events and take two in school suspensions, or take two weeks of in school suspensions," Gene answered.

Sasha piped in. "Gene chose the latter, surprisingly enough. We've never attended needless school events, but I guess Gene has a certain one in mind this year."

I gave Gene a puzzled look. "Is the event a super special senior perk?"

"It's a senior and junior perk," Zenix answered for Gene. "Sasha and I have another year, so we chose the first option."

I tried thinking of the exclusive later half of high school events. The obvious one came to mind, prom, but Gene doesn't really seem to be the type to care about prom. What might this special occasion be? "Well, I hope whatever the event is... It's worth the two weeks."

Gene poked my cheek. "Aw, is someone gonna miss me?"

"It'll just be weird without you, I guess." I poked Gene's cheek back. I glanced up momentarily to see Sasha and Zenix grimacing. About two months ago I'd be acting the same way... Now I'm the one who's doing the cringy actions.

"Now I wish I took the two week ISS. You two are seriously gross." Zenix remarked.

"So true, Zenix," Sasha nodded in agreement. 

I sat up and so did Gene. "He started it." I pointed at Gene, which caused him to roll his eyes.

"Sorry, next time I'll aim better at your eyes." Gene nabbed my pencil and pointed towards me.

Shaking my head, I took my pencil back. "Use your shadow dragon powers, moron."

Gene held down one of my hands to the table and began tickling my side... "Wanna repeat that?" he queried. I tried slapping his hand away, but I was in an extreme fit of laughter. I did however succeed in accidentally slapping Gene, with my unbridled twisting and turning. He let go of me and blinked at me a few times. Thankfully, he didn't appear to be mad.

Everyone in class must have watched the scene unfold, as it was dead silent and all eyes were on us. I shrunk into my seat, feeling especially embarrassed when Mr. Randell walked over to us while sighing.

"Since preschool you should understand that you have to keep your hands to yourself." He shook his head. "Am I gonna have to make a seating chart? In high school I was sure by now you'd be able to handle yourselves..."

A bunch of people starting booing and groaning, so I quickly spoke up. "That won't be necessary. Sorry for the disruption."

Mr. Randell gave an approving nod before looking at Gene. Taking the hint, Gene apologized as well. After that situation, class was over and dismissed.

Next period was PE, which I was pretty indifferent about. I wasn't an athlete, but I'm able to do basic physical activities without any complaint.

As I was packing up and many students were filing out of the room, I made idle chit-chat with Gene, Sasha, and Zenix until a question sprung into my mind.

"When does your guys's ISS start?" I asked.

"We have different start dates, to split us up," Sasha explained. "I get mine over with, starting Monday."

I learned that Zenix's ISS started the same week, but on Thursday. As for Gene, his ISS starts the week after on Monday. He'd have his two weeks, but then be freed by thanksgiving/parent teacher meeting break. By the time I obtained the information, all the other students were out of the classroom. We finally left as well and went our separate ways. Well, that's what I thought.

I closed my locker after putting my art stuff away, when I noticed Gene standing next to me, causing me to slightly flinch. "You are one sneaky snake," I remarked.

He leaned against the lockers next to me. "You were pretty spaced out, so of course you wouldn't notice."

"Oh, I was?" I queried. "This past week just had a lot of unexpected things happen. Most of them...weren't great." Oh my Irene. I feel like all I do is complain or cry to Gene about things... Would looking on the bright side kill you, Y/n?  Or maybe actually inquiring about his problems?! "You constantly being here for me means a lot, you know. Watching Fairy Tail and dressing up with me, too."

Gene pulled me into a hug, slightly pushed down my hood, and kissed my forehead. "If it makes you happy, I'll do it. I really mean that."

A smile immediately presented itself on my face. "I wanna be there for you too, cause you do a lot for me, and I really appreciate it." Whoever's dating this guy is one lucky person, and if no one is...someone's really missing out on a great guy.

"Passing period is almost up... I better head to gym. I'll see you around." I placed a kiss on Gene's cheek before separating from our hug and heading towards gym.

Am I stupid for taking this long to register that Gene is the person I want to be with? Whenever I'm with him, I can be carefree. He makes me feel happy and comfortable. It's just mind boggling to me that just seeing someone can cheer me up, or boost my mood, if it was already pleasant.

I was originally so wary of getting close to Gene, but then everything happened. As cliche as it is, I started thinking with my heart instead of my brain. Things occurred as they did, and I've realized that there are some things in life that are meant to be without the involvement of fixation. I wonder if matters would be different if I just jumped into certain situations...

Well, no use thinking about what could have been, right? Everything is going as good as they were on that Sunday afternoon at F/n's house. Actually, I'd say things are going even better!

Except...it would be great if Gene didn't have a two week ISS.
·~+·~+·~+·~+·~+·~+·~+·~+·~+·~+·~+·~+·~+·

A/n: I promise you, my Fairy Tail references should be over! For the time being...

This was a shorter chapter cause chapter 18 and 19 are super grouped together, cause they're both on Halloween, so oOOoooOoh!

Thanks for reading kawaii potato cats! I love each and every single one of you very muchly! Catch you all later! Baii~ 💖Shadow📚