13

Bucky didn't sleep that night. Not even when Tchalla held him close, rubbing his back. He just couldn't. Every time he fluttered his eyes shut, all he could hear was the sound of the pistol firing, all he could see was Steve's face, hands cupping his own as he tried to calm Bucky down.

"Hey hey, it's just me, shh shh." Steve had soothed, bringing Bucky in close to him. "It's just me, calm down. You're okay. I'm here."

Steve had taken him to his small cottage in the woods, wrapping a blanket around him and wiping his tears. He was so kind, holding Bucky close as he sobbed and apologised.

Bucky couldn't believe that someone who seemed like such an asshole, could be so comforting, so sweet. So... perfect.

And the fact that he had given Bucky his number to call or text him whenever he was in a bad place once again. Bucky sighed, cuddling in closer to Tchalla's muscular chest. How could he have been so stupid to give in so easily?

He heard a deep exhale come from the man he was snuggled into as he began to stir awake, causing Bucky to remove his head from hiding against Tchalla's chest to look up at him.

"Hey," Tchalla whispered softly, running a gentle hand through Bucky's wild locks. "How long have you been awake?"

Bucky shrugged, laying his head back down and enjoying the gentle strokes being made in his hair. "Not long." He lied. "Maybe five minutes?"

"Bucky.." Tchalla's voice was hoarse as he spoke. "Don't lie to me. Did you get any sleep last night?"

He gave a sigh but shook his head, no. "I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologising? You had a very.. hard night last night, I'm not expecting you to say you had an amazing sleep. I'm just a little concerned you didn't wake me and ask me to stay up with you."

"I didn't wanna be a bother."

"You aren't a bother, sure I would've been a bit, groggy and seemingly annoyed cause I'm like that in the morning, but I still would've stayed up with you." Tchalla said, gently kissing Bucky's temple as he sat up and brought the other up with him. Old habit Bucky tries to tell himself.

"I'm sorry.. for last night. I don't- I don't know what came over me.. it just.. got really bad inside my head and I'm sorry I dragged you into all of it, you shouldn't have to deal with my stupid shit.." Bucky muttered, pulling away from the embrace and dangling his legs over the side of his bed.

"Bucky." The other spoke sternly, "you don't need to apologise. What happened last night, that wasn't you. That was a voice inside your head telling you to do it. And I want to deal with your shit, you used to always deal with mine, and now it's my turn. I want to be that person you can come to whenever you need a helping hand or a shoulder to cry on."

"Thanks... I appreciate it. But shouldn't you be getting out of here and to school? It's almost 7.." he mumbled, trying to get away from the conversation.

"Oh shit!"

Tchalla knew exactly what Bucky was doing, but he understood why and decided to go along with it.

"I'll see you later?"

"Yeah." Bucky whispered.