21

Bucky groaned with effort, pulling himself up with one arm as he grasped at the wooden plank inside the barn above him tightly. "Six." He grunted through puffed breaths, listening to Thor praise him gently from where he stood, hands on either side of his hips to help him pull up.

He had gotten up early, chucking on some workout clothes and flicking his uncle a quick text to ask if he were able to help out before heading out to the barn. Bucky had shown Thor the workout he had printed out, and his uncle was glad to help out.

They had just done ten pushups, twenty jumping jacks — though Bucky claimed he could do more, Thor didn't want him to injure himself due to his skinny body — fifteen sit-ups and now, pull ups.

Bucky slowly lowered himself, arm shaking with the effort and Thor kept his grip tight on his hips, whispering something about there only being four more to do, before helping him pull himself back up.

"Come on, Buck." Loki whispered encouragingly from the corner, wanting to keep his distance. "You can do it!"

Bucky squeezed his eyes shut and clenched his teeth, chest heaving and arm aching. Thor could tell he wanted to give up and said, "don't focus on the pain, bud. Think about going on a ride with Scout or playing with the animals."

The boy did as he was told, exhaling shakily and imaging riding through the woods with scout. The advice managed to get him through the last three pull ups and he jumped down with a gasp, grabbing at his singlet and wiping his face.

"Holy shit.." Bucky whispered with a small chuckle. "That was- god."

Thor chuckled, patting his back. "It may be just your first workout, but you've got pretty good form. Next thing you know it your gonna have big guns!"

The boy gave a struggled laugh. "Yeah, well I need to up the reps and go on some runs and stuff, right?"

"All in good time, Buck. This is serious stuff, you can't rush into it. You could put yourself into danger if you out do yourself, especially someone with such a skinny figure."

"Yeah, Okay. Thanks for the help. Should we do it again?"

"I think you've done enough today, but you could go on a light jog to the mailbox and back a few times as a warm down."

"Okay."

Grabbing his drink bottle, Bucky jogged out of the barn with one last thanks, then headed towards the mailbox. He couldn't help but feel as if he could've done more. Sure, it was his first workout and Thor had said he had done enough, Bucky didn't think so. He wanted to do more. He wanted fast results. But this was meant to be a time consuming and hard ride, not easy and handed to him on a golden platter.

With a sigh, Bucky turned on his heel and jogged to the start of his driveway once more, pivoting and jogging to the end. He did this five times before coming to a stop in front of the house and bending over to slow his breathing, hand gripping his knee.

God. He thought. I need to do this more often.

Bucky walked through the front door of his home, quickly toeing off his shoes and sliding the hair tie out of his silky dark bronze hair. "I'm done!" He called, slowly walking into the living room.

He found Peter seated on the couch, eyes focused on the cartoon playing on the TV and only did he look over when Bucky waved a hand in front of his face.

"Oh- Hey Buck." He said, jumping in fright. "Dad and Stephen are still in bed, if you wanted to know where they were." He gazed back over to the tv and Bucky sighed, rolling his eyes.

"No. I didn't. As a matter of fact, I wanted to chill out with my little bro before I went out." He joked, ruffling his younger brothers hair and causing him to grumble.