19

Talking to his mother seemed so easy. He was able to see her smile and laugh after ten long years of waiting. Ten long years of anger and sadness and tears and self blame. And he couldn't be happier.

"So your father used the shotgun?!" Pepper exclaimed, face palming. "My god that father of yours is such a trouble maker."

Bucky giggled, shaking his head. "Yeah... but then it was my fault for actually losing my arm. Dead mice and uncovered wounds don't mix well together."

"Well.. is there anything else you wanna tell me? Maybe some photos?"

"Yes!" Bucky grabbed out his phone from the pocket of his jeans and went into his photo gallery. He swiped through all of the multiple pictures before clicking onto one and turning the phone around to face his mother.

"That's T'Challa." The boy explained, a large grin making its way onto his lips. "My.... friend.."

Pepper rolls her eyes, chuckling. "Cut the bullshit Bucky. He's your boyfriend, isn't he?"

Bucky gawks, a mix of shock and fear clear in his blown wide eyes. "You- wha-

"Bucky. I knew you were gay. You used to go through my drawers and put on my clothes and my makeup, and honey I'm perfectly fine with it. T'Challa is pretty cute I must say."

It takes Bucky a few minutes to respond. His mother knew. And she was fine with it. At least he didn't have to do the whole coming out thing with her. "Well.. he's actually my ex. But we're good friends."

"Really good friends from the looks of it. How're your friends?"

"Good.. they're good."

The door to the room squeaked open and Tony popped his head around. "Hey, nurses said it's time for us to leave soldier. You can come visit your mother any time." He whispered, winking at the two before closing the door once again.

Bucky sighed sadly. He didn't want to leave. Him and Pepper were only just getting started on their conversation. He finally had his mum back. Pepper cupped his cheeks gently in her hands and kissed his forehead. "Don't frown, Buck." She whispered. "We can see each other any time."

"Promise?" He asked, raising his hand and sticking out his pinky. His mother smiled and did the same, wrapping her finger around his own.

"I promise."

Giving his mother one last hug, Bucky pressed a small kiss to her cheek and waved her goodbye. Pepper blew him a kiss as he walked out the door, a happy smile playing at her lips.

It felt as if a large weight lifted up off of Bucky's shoulders as he walked over to Tony. Like all his worries were washed away. He felt.. at peace. Tony smiled once he caught sight of Bucky, but gasped when he was pulled into a hug, confusion in his gaze.

"Thank you." Was all that Bucky whispered before walking out into the cold night.

**********

Bucky awoke the next morning to his blinds being ripped open and the bright rays of sunshine peeking in through his closed eyelids. He groaned, cowering under his blankets in an attempt to hide, but was denied the satisfaction by Tony who ripped the comforter off the bed.