28

Bucky lay peacefully across Steve's lap, flickering his curious eyes around the cabin, Steve's hand trapped in his hair, combing gentle fingers through it. "Where was your... friend? Boyfriend? before? I didn't see him anywhere."

Bucky stops his eyes and gazes up at Steve. "Oh- T'Challa? He's at home... he's been suspended."

"Whoa.. how- how come?" Steve questions, smiling down at the younger. "I never thought that he'd be the type to get.. suspended."

Bucky giggles. "Yeah. I got into a mini fight yesterday— well.. actually, not a fight, some guy at school attacked me cause I wasn't giving him the time of day in the middle of class and when T'Challa found out he attacked him and yeah."

"You okay?"

"Yeah, a bit better. Still got a really sore gut, and nose."

"Can I?" Steve points down at Bucky's belly, pinching a small piece of the fabric of his shirt. Bucky nods.

Steve gently lifts the shirt between his forefingers and thumbs, eyes growing wide at the large welt that covered olive skin. "Shit Buck— did he crack a rib or anything?"

Bucky almost smiles at Steve's worry filled glance. "No." He whispers. "Just a bruise."

"Fuck. Did the asshole get a suspension as well?"

Bucky shakes his head. "No.. his dads the principal, nothings gonna happen to him."

"What the fuck? That's bullshit."

"I know, but there's nothing we can do."

Steve sighs. "That really sucks, Buck. You don't deserve that sort of treatment." He gently lifts Bucky up from his lap and lays his head against a pillow on the couch, walking swiftly into the kitchen at the sound of the jug flicking off.

"Yeah but— oh well. That's just- life I guess."

"Yeah.."

The two go silent and Bucky feels his phone vibrate in his back pocket. Sighing, the boy pulls out his phone and gulps down at the message.

Your in for it now sweetheart. There's nowhere to run now that your 'friend' isn't here to save you.

Bucky's stomach churns. This has to be some sick joke... Brock wouldn't seriously do something to him.. would he? But before Bucky's mind could go into overdrive, Steve's voice calls out his name and he snaps out of his trance.

"Huh what?" He mumbles, hiding his phone and sitting up on the couch.

"You okay?" Steve asks, handing over his hot chocolate and taking a seat beside him. "Important message?"

"Oh— no, everything's fine- I'm fine."

"Okay..."

*******

Bucky was sat in maths, bored and hand seemingly clammy. He had been anxious all day, whipping his head around at every sound, just waiting for the moment brock takes his pick and attacks the boy.

Sighing, Bucky takes the bathroom pass from his teacher and scurries down the hall, looking left and right multiple times. Just in case. Just to ease his nerves.