11

The next day, I really felt better, thanks to Minho's speech yesterday. I slept relatively well and was less anxious when I went to school this morning. Seeing Felix still hurt and my mind went wild when I shared a classroom with him during a few morning classes, the longing to be with him again tugging on my heartstrings. But the fear of losing him forever was gradually fading away. Maybe I really was overreacting because I was upset and this situating really isn't that bad.

We actually have a concrete plan now and the more I think about it, the more hope I have on a positive outlook. The thing is, Minho's plan is so easy I'm surprised I didn't come up with it myself. It's easy to carry out and it can be done in no-time if it works out well.

1. Let Minho use his charms to get Soojae to talk

2. Force Felix to listen once we have the information we need

3. Set everything straight and be friends again!

There's still a part of me that remains skeptic about this entire plan; maybe it sounds too easy to be true and it won't work out as we hope it does. But I quickly ban those thoughts from my mind, for the sake of keeping my finally better mood up. It's no use to worry about a bad outcome and I guess we'll see how it works out. If it doesn't work out, we can worry about what comes next when it really comes so far. Yeah, that's the best, Minjae. Stay positive!

It's lunch break now and the cafeteria rapidly fills with students as Minho and I enter together, heading towards our usual table as if nothing's wrong. The cafeteria is as loud as always, students chattering everywhere with some annoying freshmen even running around like children.

Already feeling the annoyance growing as two of them run past our table, I pull back my usual chair before I sit down. Minho sits down opposite of me and suddenly, I'm all too aware of the empty chair next to me. That's when the painfully hollow feeling of Felix' absence kicks in for the first time today and I softly bite my lower lip.

From the corner of my eye, I see Minho looking at the empty chair as well and I feel a clear pang of guilt in my chest. Sighing, I lean forward to grab my school bag from the ground in order to take out my lunch box. But then my eyes land on someone way too familiar.

It's Felix, sitting at a table a little distance away from ours. It's not only the fact that he's sitting away from us that sends sadness, guilt and even anger through my body. No, it's the fact that he's sitting there with someone in particular that makes it even worse.

Choi Jangmi.

The unofficial queen of the school, as she likes to refer to herself. I think she's more like a venomous snake and when I shared my thoughts with my two best friends, months ago, Felix quickly changed it to Danger Noodle. It has been her secret nickname ever since.

"Why is Felix suddenly hanging out with Danger Noodle?" I ask, my voice trembling slightly.

Minho narrows his eyes, following my gaze. A frown sets on his brows as he finds Felix and Jangmi sitting at the same table, seeming to talk animatedly about something. Am I really that easy to get over? Looks like I am, huh?

"I wouldn't think too much of it," Minho mutters, still frowning.

It's obvious that he's as surprised as I am, though. He understands as much of it as I do; nothing. Felix always made it clear that he didn't like Jangmi at all. Minho might try to sound confident about the positive outcome of this all but the uncertainty in his voice is impossible to miss.

"Look, I'm going to talk to Soojae today after school. Once I found out what she's hiding, we can clear this mess and everything will be normal again. Trust me."

I nod slowly, trying my hardest to ignore the hint of doubt in my friend's tone. But it's obviously there and he knows, too. My thoughts are all over the place as I glance at them, watching how they break into a laughing fit over something. I feel my mouth grow dry and If I would've been someone else, I would'we started to cry for sure. I miss my best friend already.

"You should stop watching them," Minho suggests after a while, lightly poking my shoulder to distract me. "You'll only end up hurting yourself more. It'll be alright, Minmin."

"That's easy for you to say," I counter, tearing my gaze away from the strange duo on the other side of the cafeteria. "At least he's still talking to you instead of avoiding you like a plague."

"Yeah, but I can tell that he's not too eager to do so," the older sighs and I feel a pang of guilt jabbing at my stomach, again. Are we really losing our best friend to Jangmi over a giant misunderstanding and a mess my sister created? Minho didn't even do something wrong.

"I'm so sorry," I mutter, hanging my head low.

"Yah, it's too early for that," the raven-haired boy scoffs, playfully flicking my forehead. "I have a plan, listen."

I give him a curious look as the confidence returns in his tone. So he's been thinking this through, huh?

"I'll call Soojae tonight, pretending that I don't know anything. I'll act confused and slightly concerned, asking if she knows more about the sudden change between you and Felix. Hopefully, I can find at least something in her reply, even if she doesn't tell me the truth."

"That sounds kind of legit," I muse, letting my thoughts run over his explanation. It's a rather simple and harmless plan and my sister is stupid enough to accidentally spill something, especially when her crush is involved.

But there's one part that bothers me and I give the older a doubtful look as I share my thoughts.

"Your plan contains acting and that's risky, even over the phone. Are you sure you can pull it off?"

The smirk that returns to his features is the first sign of his confidence level getting back to normal and I make a face, even though I'm grateful for his faith in this plan.

"How many famous actors called Lee Minho are there?" the boy questions, his eyes sparkling with determination. "It's in the name, princess. Of course I can pull this off."

A mild chuckle escapes my lips upon hearing the nickname. I can't even remember when it started but apparently, it's enough to make me smile at least a little in times like this. You can say about the boy what you want but Minho really someone you can rely on, even though he may appear cold and uninterested to people that don't know him. 

"That's it, that's what I was looking for," the older grins and I smile softly before looking away. I involuntarily glance over to Felix and my smile disappears as soon as it came as I find Jangmi smiling widely while touching his hand.

I can't shake off the feeling that there's something really wrong going on.

Minho glances over to them as well and a hint of uneasiness crosses his face for a split second before he skillfully hides it again. But I saw it and the familiar anxiety drops in my stomach again, leaving me on edge.

"Minjae, just try to get through today and ignore those two, okay?" my friend urges, giving me a solemn look. "Hopefully, I'll know more by tonight. I promise you I'll do my best."

"I'll try," I mutter, staring down at the lunch box in front of me. My appetite is completely lost with a heavy feeling on my chest, I stuff it back into my bag. Minho just eyes me worriedly but he remains quiet; there's nothing he can do right now.

All the positivity I felt before lunch is long forgotten. We spend the rest of the lunch break in silence, listening to the noises surrounding us. There is one sound in particular that doesn't fail to reach me every time, which is Felix' bright laughter that leaves a burning sadness in my being.

I don't think I can handle this for too long. I really hope Minho can pull it off tonight. Maybe I can drag myself through today but I'm not too sure if more days like this follow. Even though I might not cry often, I have my limits. And without Felix by my side, I'm not sure how well I can handle this.

That night, I receive a text message from Minho, saying that he spoke with Soojae and that we're going to a café tomorrow after school. He doesn't say anything about the conversation.

I'm nervous.