21

That Monday, I skipped all my morning classes for well-known reasons. The only reason I went to school before lunch break was to catch my homeroom teacher to hand in something important but I stayed well away from the classrooms Felix was in. My detention hours are piling up but I'm beyond caring; everything is better than being stuck in a classroom with him.

Another reason I got to school before the lunch break, is the lunch break itself. I really enjoy them now and I don't mind coming to school a bit earlier to be there. Some people might find it weird; a sophomore girl with three senior guys. I don't think it's a combination that often occurs.

But yeah, your best friend leaving you for a snake he used to isn't very usual, either. I guess my life is just unusual and I just have to roll with it. Plus, I'm not complaining about the new friends I've made.

I don't allow myself to miss Felix.

Not even as he's the first thing I see when I enter the cafeteria.

I blatantly ignore the orange-haired boy as he walks a few meters away from me, a tray of food in his hands. For once, Jangmi isn't by his side but I bet on my food that he's heading towards her. Judging from the faint smile that plays on his lips, he is. 

Our eyes meet for a moment but I immediately avert my gaze. Instead, I glance over at our usual table where I find Chan waving at me. A smile spreads over my face and I pick up the pace to reach my friends.

"Hi guys," I happily greet them as I crash down next to Chan, the short encounter with Felix already forgotten as he greets me with a warm smile. A smile that makes my heart flutter for a split second, a warm sensation that lingers a second before it's gone.

As they all greeted me back, I look around my small group of friends. Chan and Minho are engaged in a conversation about something from their physics class, something way too advanced for my sophomore brain. While Chan is talking animatedly, Minho only nods halfheartedly, confusion lingering on his features. It's clear that whatever the oldest is talking about, he understands as little as I do. Meanwhile, Changbin looks like he just had the most boring experience of his life, the way he sighs while he pokes at his food radiates as much energy as I feel when physics class is involved.

"You're always such a big mood, Changbin oppa," I mutter, lifelessly picking at my food. My jaw is about to stretch into a massive yawn but I suppress it with all my might.

Changbin offers me a small smile before actually taking a bite from his food, as if I reminded him to eat with my remark.

"It's hilarious how you cringe when you call one of us oppa," he then states, a soft chuckle leaving his lips. His eyes carry an amused twinkle as he glances over at me.

"Yeah, blame Minhoe for that," I mutter defensively.

As Minho perks up at the mention of his name, we both laugh and his confused face remains. No one speaks up to explain why his name was mentioned and with a huff, he averts his gaze before taking a huge bite of rice.

"You guys make no sense," he complains.

Chan almost looks offended and fighting the urge to laugh, I amicably place a hand on his shoulder.

"It's not you, Channie. Blame it on the physics you're talking about, everyone would get confused over that," I joke, causing the oldest to lift a brow.

"Channie?" he repeats, making me realize my mistake.

"I-I mean, Chris oppa," I quickly correct myself, my cheeks rapidly warming.

A bright laugh bubbles up from his throat and I quickly look down, party ashamed and party cringing my insides out. Why do I feel like a stupid high school girl when I use that honorific, even though it's just being polite? Where did it go wrong?