33

Sunday evening came sooner than I was ready for.

The feeling of my stomach doing somersaults while I prepare dinner makes me realize there's another reason why I wanted Minho to be here; there's no way I can pull this off on my own. I mean, I would most likely chicken out last minute because I'm too scared to mess up or something. Usually, I don't really mind screwing up but this is way too important.

Humming a soft melody to distract myself from the nerves that fly through my body, I grab everything we need for dinner from the kitchen cabinets; three bowls, three pairs of chopsticks and the other needed items. Three of everything, because my sister and I still eat together. It's more out of habit than anything else and we completely ignore each other's presence while we're eating. Tonight, with Minho here as well, things will probably a bit different.

I feel Soojae's eyes following me everywhere from her spot at the kitchen table, watching how I was cooking ramyeon with a bored expression. But as I set the three bowls in front of her, she frowns and apparently, forgets the rule of not communicating.

"Are you expecting someone?" she questions as I walk back to the stove.

"Minho's coming over for dinner," I reply, spinning the button to make the flames underneath the pot disappear before I use mitts to lift the pan and carefully walk towards the kitchen table.

"Why?" Soojae asks, watching how I set the pan on a coaster. She doesn't sound like she's suspecting something. Rather, she sounds a little sad. Her crush on Minho wasn't exactly a secret to me anymore -I mean, even he knew- and she knows very well that she doesn't stand a single chance anymore.

"Why not? Can't I invite my only friend left for dinner? Unless you're planning to rip him away from me as well. Then I'll gladly cancel my plans." I narrow my eyes at her, mentally scolding myself because that came out a tiny little bit too harsh.

But then again, she had it coming. I quickly shrug off the guilt, discarding it as unneeded. It's not like me to treat people like shit, especially not my own sister. It's gnawing at me and I have to remind myself over and over again that she deserves my wrath.

The atmosphere in the kitchen turns awkward after my comment. My sister intently observes her nails while I just stand there, oven mitts still covering my hands. No wonder I'm more than happy when the doorbell rings, announcing my friend's arrival.

I quickly glance over at my sister before I leave the kitchen. Maybe that nasty remark wasn't smart to make since we really need her cooperation tonight. Does she even have any reasons left to help her little sister? Smart move, Minjae.

A small puff of air escapes my lips as I open the front door, revealing Minho with his hands in his pockets. Surprisingly, he looks fairly comfortable. As if that huge confrontation isn't going to happen tonight. I know Minho's confidence level is above average but does he really think our plan is that good?

"You look nervous," is literally the first thing he says upon seeing me. Not even a greeting, and it's not like I didn't know that already.

"No shit, sherlock," I mutter, stepping aside to let him in. "I am nervous."

My throat feels awfully dry as I watch how the older takes off his shoes. Now that he's here, it suddenly feels so real. It really feels like a now-or-never situation; if Soojae doesn't want to cooperate, I don't know what else to do.

The tension in the kitchen is so strong as Minho enters. I can feel its weight on my shoulders as I follow him. I can see it in my older sister, who looks everywhere but at us. One could cut it with a knife, if they wouldn't collapse under its weight before they could do so.