Nine: This selfish world

Phoula, went over in his mrithi's stead, to see his highness. The summons had come early that morning and without further ado, he had complied, hoping the emir has good news for his clan.

His family are currently outcasts, enduring the jibes and the insults even though they rank seventh, or last, on the elite nobility list. Still, they are a part of the great seven families representing all of pure nobility in Maicki.

They had fallen so low now.

He wouldn't honestly blame it on Aairah. Truth is, the neutral party is always the most hated sometimes. And his family is just that-neutral. They strived never to take sides no matter what. And now that they have fallen, people confidently call them hypocritical and cowardly. All the other families do. The Alkali clan, the clan of clans, the Fillo clan, the Taha clan, Mambi clan, the Baggara clan, the Yusuf clan and the Abdulaziz clan. Even the Queen's clan, the Bini clan, are way below theirs. If Aairah marries the emir, she might not be anything much in the way of power, but her children will still have purer bloodlines, if her mother wasn't Ghanian. And now, because of that slight, the purity will depend on which son born, has more resources.

He had to wait more than three hours to see his highness. The wait, deliberate or circumstantial, didn't faze Phoula. He would not die in peace if his family keeps sinking in the mud. Seeing the emir is mercy in itself. Some might call it a privilege now. He has no idea why the emir wanted Aairah, despite the shady murk surrounding her at the moment, but he prayed hard it doesn't go away. It's the only reason his highness would see the member of a smuggling clan-truth or not. At least, never this soon.

The Emir fixated a look on Phoula from a giant chair in his office. So he had decided to see him here and not the throne room. Perhaps there is really hope for his clan.

For the longest time after the greetings, the Emir just remained silent. And Phoula is afraid to talk. Everyone knew his highness is tolerant to those in his favor. Otherwise, he might not care how this meeting ends. It's is always better to sit in the side of caution. So he tried not to fidget as he awaited why he has been summoned.

Finally, the emir said "your Mrithi saved my life the first year I was made emir. Did you know?" He asked.

"No, your highness" Phoula bowed respectfully.

"I shall review the necessity of repaying the debt if your family moves to the Sultanate" he stated.

Phoula had thought of several reasons why the emir would do this. But moving to the sultanate just never occurred to him. Ever!

"Your generosity is enormous your highness. We are thankful and greatful too, your eminence. May you live long in health and contentment" he stated in gratitude he suddenly didn't feel. The Sultanate is the Taha clan's dormain. That unbearable clan would make them targets regardless of why and only Allah knows what would happen.

"Of course, a good reward would be fitting if the life is a good one. More so, if all the members of your family enjoyed their stay, without feeling the need to pack up and leave. It would please me greatly if I am aware of any discomforts that might have proven to be cause" his highness looked away to gaze at the wall length glass behind him, gazing down at the fields with children running on the grass, playing football. The queen lets children in the neighborhood to play football once a week. He likes to watch their guileless innocence as they made merry with a round object for glory. He likes to think it builds nobility in them.

"It shall be as you wish" Phoula bowed again. In his mind, he wondered at his highness's words. Of course it's easy to read between the lines.

His highness wants the family to work on forgiving Aairah and making her happy again. He would reward them if he knows who was threatening Aairah and making her want to leave Maicki. He was as clear as he could be by not spelling it out for him. But why does he think that Aairah is being threatened?