Naima's help

The emir could remain blank whenever he wishes to. But there are times when he is too anxious that his feet taps the ground on its own accord. Of course, that would only show when he is thinking severely.

Bugaji, Babu's replacement for his trip to Oceane is covered with concern. But he didn't dare voice it. He could only worry silently and pray the emir isn't in some kind of trouble.

The tapping of his feet is steady and well paced. It's like he is doing it methodically. He looks like a statue. Times like these, Bugaji is filled with inward wailings about this unfair cycle of life. Babu is off keeping the lady watched while he is here suffering and lamenting his poor fate.

Bugaji has never seen his highness worrying so much before. This makes him feel lost and apprehensive. Sometimes, the emir has volatile moods that didn't bore well for everyone.

It took time. And then his highness said "I want to see the Bastille Earl"

Bugaji instantly felt alarm. The emir and the Mrithi Alkali, the Bastille Earl do not always see eye to eye. In public, the Mrithi Alkali was always cool and passive with the emir. But the Emir does not acknowledge him after the customary greetings. THe emir does not really talk in public unless there is dire need. So people mostly read his mood and draw their own conclusion. Truth is, the Alkali are the clan of clans and no emir would be able to rule Macki comfortably without their support. But the Alkali clan also need the emirate to enforce certain societal expectations of them. Their Mrithi needs the emirate to be able to accrue enough power to rule the thousands of them. There is no win when they fight.

Some say it went back to when they were in military school. The Bastille Earl was bested by the emir and got himself the golden badge. So he held a grudge. But of course, since the emir does no wrong, it might be possible the truth got distorted along the line somewhere. No one can say for a fact why they don't wish to let bygones be bygones. Then again, it might be because the Bastille Earl is always advocating peace between the Takhis and the Thiltes. And he has always believed the other smaller number of tribes also need to be recognized by the emirate.

The emir clearly does not roll that way. When the Takhis, his own people, cause problem, he would subdue them with force. Casualties be damned. If the Thiltes begin to become overbearing, an example is made of some unfortunate power monger and they are subdued through action. He does not like the former ways of emirs past that were always advocating peace which does no one any good. The Takhis and the Thiltes are always fighting still. Nothing ever changes. It's always better to discourage them from revolting or rioting in the first place.

So of course, Bugaji is surprised the Emir is asking for the Bastille Earl. Afterall, no one knows of the true nature of the emir's relationship with Mrithi Aisam.

When the Bastille Earl arrived, the emir is receiving his mail while it was being read to him. There isn't a reply from the emir yet and the mail is ending already.

"Leave us" he ordered.

When it was just the two of them, Aaisam got tired of waiting for the emir to talk and asked "do you like seeing me kneel before you or do you actually have something for me?" He sounded impertinent. Like he is trying to goad his majesty.

Aariz said simply "both"

Aaisam frowned, resisting the urge to glare at him. "It's her new Royal highness isn't it?" He asked snidely, a terrible frown that might tell someone he is becoming very annoyed replaced it in seconds. It won't do well for others to think he is openly disrespecting the emir and give room for them to try and cause trouble.

Aariz remained silent.

"I knew it! She is the only one who would make you summon me!" He complained trying to sound bitter but failing miserably. Here is an opportunity to do a favor for his highness. There is no need to be bitter. Except everyone will expect it of him. But Ya Allah! The emir never ever summons him. He mostly waited until he came for his timely report to speak to him about something since he is responsible for keeping the balance of peace in Maicki. Every force is under him. He is the one true link between the emirate and any type of force or security detail. That is the general duty of the Bastille Earl.