His protection

When the Royal procession waltzed into the palace grounds, they abruptly changed course to proceed towards the widow's chambers.

News spread like wildfire. Nothing stopped its motion until it stopped in front of the large black double gates marking the boundaries of the widow's chambers.

The emir alighted from the vehicle. He raised a fist to inform his guards to seal the entire premises. That didn't take more than a second of his time. At the corner of his eyes, he spied Queen Neemah rushing towards him in rapid pace. Then through the other corner of his eyes, he saw his mother rushing towards him. He acted as if he did not see them coming. When the guards opened the gates, he raised another fist to order everyone to halt. Right before he entered the house, he could also see some of the elders of the Fillo clan rushing towards the place as well. They too failed to make him acknowledge them.

It was quiet inside. The huge neem tree at the center of the compound shook with a dancing gait as the cool November draft fell upon it. Breeze wafted by with a swirling confidence and of course, the canopied roof made the compound seem dark. Almost like it was already evening. The birds chirped as they nested all over the place. It looks like it has seen a better part of a century without a descent cleaning. The dust that has settled all around made it seem like it was an artificial Sahara. It smells like dust and a damp unflattering odour of algae and dirt.

A frown visited his face. He walked ahead, each step taking on a very dark and foreboding intent. His eyes sharpened with each passing thought raging in his mind. He looks calm. But the roiling feeling continued to churn in his heart.

When he opened the room that Aairah was jailed, it looks dark and gloomy enough to be called a tomb!

His heart plummeted even further and his anger grew to heights he has not thought he was capable of feeling before this.

He tried to focus on one thought only.

Whoever did this, will taste the other side of mercy!

He had to open a few Windows to let some light into the room. The first thing that told him she was in it is the outline of her body in the very dark.

She has balled up in one corner, shivering and sobbing as if she was waiting for her death.

Something demonic squeezed his chest. He wanted someone's blood! There is a haze that curtained his heart to anything but the vengeance that is beginning to manifest and take form...

When he knelt next to her, she didn't even feel him so close. She is in her own world. Trying to cope. When he listened to her soft murmur, he heard what is saying.

'...la haula wa la quwwata illa billah! (There is no might nor strength except with Allah). His heart cooled instantly as he reflected upon the meaning. A crushing need to pet her, enveloped him. He wanted to feel her against him so he could feel his heartbeat in sync with her own. Just to remind himself that she is still here, sane and whole.

But he controlled the impulse. Instead, he spoke to her in a very soothing tone that carried a gentleness that could make one weep. He said "wake up. I am here"

She stopped talking. Then raised her head to look around her as if disoriented. That voice lured her attention and she found herself look straight at his chalk black pools appearing characteristically bright in the dark room.

Relief flooded through her. She had thought she was dreaming when she heard that voice!

"Let me carry you" he offered softly.

"People will talk. Let me walk" she replied hoarsely, her trembling never ceased even though she didn't sound like she is in pain..

He extended a finger to touch her brow, next to the healing scar tissue where she was hit. He couldn't control that particular impulse. He vowed "I will avenge you, dear one"