Whispers

Aariz smiled when he saw Hanifa.

Actually, he is relieved that she is still alive and well. It has been a burden in his mind that he had dismissed her claims when she accused Neemah on the successive attacks on her life.

He asked himself once again who Neemah is.

How could a person be so ruthless even at such a very young age? Hanifa had done nothing to her. She had nothing to fear from Hanifa. Why did she try to kill her? He wondered.

"I fled to my mother's relatives in Maicki. I thought to myself, no one would think I would come back to Maicki so I would be safer here. They housed me. And helped conceal my identity so I wouldn't be stigmatized" she explained.

Aariz nodded to tell her he understands.

"Why did you come back?" He asks her.

She smiled. "I came back because I heard of what happened with Aairah" she told him.

He didn't react to that. He simply awaited more explanation. It is unnerving, the way he simply gave her free will to speak without reacting or giving any encouragement. There is neither discouragement and it's a bit disconcerting! He has always had this ability to make people doubt themselves around him. If she continues to let him do this, he would eventually make her stumble on her words and she might reveal things to make him doubt her later!

"Aren't you curious to know why?" She asked him.

He didn't say anything it that either. He continued to watch her silently. Oh God! He knows I am hiding something! What does he see when he looks at me that closely? Is he wondering of the timing? Is he suspicious? Of course he is! He knows his enemies will use anyone to break him and take what is his!

"We used to be able to converse. I am sorry I assumed we could continue to be friends" she apologized, looking embarrassed. My evasive tactic won't work! He knows I am nervous and he isn't taking pity on me!

Just when she is about to die from the extreme pounding in her heart, he smiled just a little and said "right now, I don't need friends" he told her.

"Even if they could help you bring back Aairah?" She asks him.

"Especially if they think they can bring back Aairah" he assured. The smiled suddenly vanished and in its place is a carefully neutral expression. Her body began to tremble. Oh God! He isn't the same boy I once knew! I was presumptuous to think he would listen to me!

"I am so sorry. I only wanted to help" she stated.

Aariz sighed. He returned his attention to the open glass wall overlooking the city of Raome. He could always see a lot from up here. If the city is lovely, bubbly, dull... Sometimes it helps him draw up circumstances without relying on others.nespecially when he uses his telescope!

Hanifa felt tears in her eyes. If I fail, they will kill me. I must succeed!

She knelt there on the ground and closed her eyes like she is saying a prayer.

"I am so sorry for daring to assume nothing has changed after so many years. I swear it, I didn't come here on my own accord" she told him.

He still remained there, ignoring her.

"I was approached by the Bini clan. They want me to be their spy. So I came because I thought you can protect me so I don't have to go back to them" she told him. "Please don't abandon me. I have no one else to care for my welfare. I am afraid I won't survive failure. They will definitely kill me! Please!" She begged.

It took a while. But then Aariz turned around to look at her again. This time, a frown marred his face and he looks displeased.

"I cannot trust you now. So what can you give me to show your sincerity?" He asks her.