The Reason Why*

Rune

A loud scream jolted young Rune awake, rubbing his eyes with his small hands, he slipped down out of his bed. "Mom?'' he called, his voice coming out small as he navigated through the dark room to get out into the hallway. Fear dissipated in his heart as he walked down the narrow passageway, "mom?'' he called again, this time with more urgency.

Holding the railing, he went down the stairs to the main foyer, the cold floor sending a shiver to up his spine. His heart beat loudly in his small chest, the fear he'd never felt before crept up his body and engulfed him. Entering the living room, he found his mother standing before him, a single smile appearing on her face at his presence, red spewed out of the corner of her mouth as she held her stomach which was also covered in the same red color.

"Mom?" he called, his mother fell forward onto the ground before him, her limp hand falling at the tip of his bare feet. His eyes followed the movement of her fall, "mom!" he shouted. He looked up, there he was, the man who hurt his mother. He was crouching near his mother's body, wiping the red off of his knife onto his mother's dress. Looking back to his mother, her eyes wide open but staring into nothing. He stared at her for a while, why wasn't she moving? He knelt down beside her and shook her, "mom, wake up" he said. The man grabbed him suddenly by the shoulders, "your mom is dead boy". He tried to shove the strange man away but he wouldn't let go, tears streamed down his round cheeks as he screamed "you hurt her! Let go of me!" the man persisted, his grip barely loosening.

"Mom! Help me! This man is hurting me! Mom! Why aren't you waking up? You always do when i call you! Mom!" he cried, he bit down on the man's hand to get away and he did, momentarily at least, before a cold flame erupted in his back and spread throughout his body like a wildfire. He fell down onto the ground, writhing in pain. He reached his hand to his back, his fingers meeting a wet substance. Raising his hand to his tear filled eyes, he realized it wasn't red, it was blood. The kind he got when he was hurt. For a second he forgot the pain in his back and leaped onto the man, biting his ear with all his strength. The man let out an ear-piercing scream as he attempted to pull him off, but it only caused him more pain. Young Rune held on no matter what, passed the point where a copper-tasting substance coated his mouth, he pulled back then, taking with him a piece of the man's ear. He jumped down and the man's hand flew to his bloody ear, Rune spat the thing in his mouth onto the ground.

The man looked at him in pure horror, "you're..." the man tried to say something, but his lips shook, the pain in his ear too overwhelming "you hurt my mom" Rune said, his teeth and mouth covered in blood, "you fucker!'' the man howled and grabbed him, lifting him by the throat, he struggled, clawing at the man's hand, his eyes only seeing red. "I'm going to kill you too now," the man stated, "Rune!" his father called. Rune wanted to call to him, but no words could escape his small lips. At that instant, the man let his frail body fall to the ground, "shit" he swore and ran to the back, Rune grabbed his hand, trying to push past the dizziness. The man shoved him away, but not before leaving the image of his tattoo engraved into his mind.

"Rune!" his father yelled, finding him limp near his mother who had been terribly hurt, "dad..." he said, his voice coming out as a whisper before a never felt before darkness sandwiched him, it felt like a sleep.

I woke up in a cold sweat, my body trembling, my heart pounding in my chest, reverberating like a drum. I inhale and exhale, sitting up in bed, chest heaving as tears blur my vision; I rub them away, holding them back. I never cried and i never would. But it didn't mean that i wasn't desolate, sorrow fills my heart, it was an event I will never forget, it's engraved in my head, a fresh memory that i could just barely remember. "Rune?" Tans voice called softly in the darkness, "yeah" I respond, my voice raspy.