Where Were You?

Tan

"I was ambushed by loan sharks yesterday; do you have anything to tell me?" i said, my tone conveying how irritated and angry i was.

"You were ambushed!!!" he shouts back

"i thought you stopped gambling, what does mom have to say about this?" i questioned, i knew bringing in my mom would allow him to see some sense.

"i didn't tell her...i intended to pay it back, you had college to get to and i didn't have money. But they kept charging me more and i couldn't pay anything back, i didn't think they'd go this far Tan, i'm sorry"

"i didn't need to go then, i could've went to work" i sympathized

"i couldn't fail you, i already did with your sister" he said, his voice cracking. 

I immediately took the seat beside him, "that wasn't your fault! You know that right?" 

My dad simply nodded, "i know, but i..." 

"its Okay dad" i said, even though i was torn apart on the inside. I still missed her even though it had happened 3 years ago; the thought of it was like tearing an old wound that just hadn't healed enough. She was my older sister by 4 years, even though we fought more often than not; i loved her more than myself. She was my everything and then just like that, she was gone. Nothing left of her but ashes and cold sheets of a bed that wouldn't be touched by her ever again. I still remember the day they told me she'd died of stage 4 cancer; they hadn't found it in time. She breathed her last breath on her own, in a cold hospital where i didn't even get to say goodbye. I hadn't even talked to her for a month after she left for her trip, only to find out she was just...gone. It hadn't hit me for a few days and when it did, i'd never felt worse. 

I blinked back tears, "what are we going to do?"

"You're going to do nothing, i did this, i'm not going to drag you down with me"

"No, i don't care -"

"No means no, if you have anything to say, i'm not going to listen" he stated, i couldn't say anything. I stood up, stretching my body, "i have to get back" i said.

"Stay with us tonight, we miss you here" i nodded without hesitation. I woke up the next day feeling refreshed, the talk will my dad last night lifted a huge weight off my chest that i hadn't even realized i was carrying. "Come eat Tan" my mother said from the kitchen, i felt nostalgic as i headed in its direction. 

"i should get going, i have classes tomorrow so i have work to catch up on" i told my parents even though all i wanted was to go back and see Rune, but i wasn't going to say that. They didn't know i was gay. I took the bus home and pulled out my phone, i turned it on but nothing happened. I guess i'd forgotten to charge it, as usual. I rested my head against the bus window and stared outside, soon the skies started to cry and they lulled me to sleep. 

I woke up an hour later luckily; i had reached my stop. I got off and stretched, my ass had a weird feeling you got from sitting down on those hard bus chairs for so long and my head slightly pounded from the constant contact my head made with the cold bus window. I bought a coffee for both myself and Rune who was probably sleeping at this time, and headed to my dorm room.

I went in and found the room empty, i felt heart drop but i ignored it as i left Rune's coffee at the table, plopped down onto the couch, and turned on Netflix. Shortly after, the door swung open and i looked to see Rune standing there all disheveled. "What happened to you?" i asked, quickly sitting up "you look like hell".

"And you're fine" he said all too quietly, within a blink of an eye i was engulfed in a hug that almost knocked all the air out of my chest. I pat Rune on the back, what had gotten into him?