Giving In

Tan

I sipped on my iced coffee as i answered my phone, "hello?"

"Tan?" 

"Whats up?" i asked Rune, immediately recognizing his voice. "Iv'e found out how we can bring my father down"

"Okay, what do you need me for?"

"I can't do it alone...we should talk in person, somewhere private"

"What did you have in mind?"

I walked into a rundown motel building, that despite its state, still had its rooms filled. I held my breath as the strong odor of mildew permeated through the corridor. I finally made it to the last room on the floor, i pushed open the creaking door, closing it shut behind me. "What took you so long?" Rune asked, he sat at one of the chairs of the dining table. "I was eating food" i answered as i took a seat across from him. "You said you had an idea..." i started as i realized that he wasn't going to say anything. "Right, well my father has always been in the drug business" he starts and i nod, "what were you thinking?" 

"Well, he makes most of his profit off of smuggling drugs across the south China sea and across the Mekhong river. He has major connections in China and along the Thailand border. Before i'd taken over, my father had just made a deal with an important drug cartel based in Mexico, to import drugs into Thailand, this week on Thursday, one of the shipments are coming in."

"So you want to catch him red handed, but knowing your father, he probably won't come there, he'll send someone else"

"That's the problem, we need to find out how we can get him to be there himself. My father has always been suspect to drug smuggling, obviously he's never been caught. If we can convince them that there will be an exchange happening, he'll be done"

"If they get your father, you'll also be in trouble. Especially for something like drug smuggling. You have basically taken over for your father in some areas, they wont let you off" i said, already feeling that this probably wasn't a good idea. I wasn't going to assist in him getting arrested for something he didn't do.

"I know" he answered, his words rung in my ear. "But you haven't done anything wrong"

"You don't know what iv'e done"

"And what would that be?"

"I've-"

"I'm not going to let anything happen to you" Rune's eyes snapped to mine in that moment, for a second his hard and cold exterior cracked. "It's not like you've killed someone" i quickly added. 

"I have" he said and it was my turn to be shocked, i searched his expression for something that told me he was lying but there was nothing. It couldn't be. He wouldn't, sure he could be ruthless, arrogant, cruel, and sure he could beat people to death if he wanted. But i know him, he wouldn't kill anyone. "You still want to protect me?"I met his eyes, those dark eyes that used to look at me as if i mattered, but now all i saw was something sad. Only feelings of having been alone for so long. I felt lost in them again and for a moment, i felt it, his pain and it left a dark and heavy feeling in my chest. Maybe i'm lying to myself, but i refuse to even believe that he was a killer. He couldn't be what i was fighting against, he couldn't just be another murderer like my father and his. He couldn't be another enemy. 

For some reason, a part of me didn't care what he'd done to be here and alive and that was frightening. Could i still love him if he really was just that? A killer?

"You're not a murderer"

"Do you actually believe that?" He scoffed and i nodded, "i know you"

"Do you?"