Another Point Of View

Tan

I sat crossed legged on the cold ground, staring at the words engraved in the stone as i ran my fingers over the rough surface, "why'd you leave us Dao? You've missed so much". 

"I'm attending a college, i'm dating a guy, his name is Rune. Even though he is petty, annoying, and cocky, i think you'd like him" i admitted, forcing back the tears brimming in my eyes. I sat for a while, reminiscing until i realized it was late. I stood up, with one last look i walked away. 

As i headed towards the bus, i dug my hands into my pockets for my phone but i found nothing. I must've dropped it back there, i quickly rushed back and to my surprise, someone stood at Dao's grave. An older lady, maybe in her 50's or 60's, placing lilies, on the ground. I walked up to her, curious of her identity. I picked up the phone and looked at the flowers she'd brought. "Those were her favorite" i said causing the lady to look at me in shock. "How'd you find me here?" she asked, my brows furrowed in confusion, "what? do i know you?''. 

Realization filled her eyes, "did you know her? she's my sister" i asked and almost immediately she shook her head, "but you brought her flowers, her favorites, it can't be a coincidence" i pressured but she walked away, "sorry, i shouldn't have come" she said before rushing off. I didn't go after her, maybe it was just a coincidence... but why did she look so damn familiar? I headed back to the bus and returned to the dorms. I absentmindedly walked back to my room, i had no desire to speak or do anything. Today, 3 years ago, Dao had died and i couldn't bring myself to do anything remotely entertaining. Instead, i decided to do some homework that i hadn't gotten started on. 

Despite my efforts, my mind was drawn to that old lady at the grave, i recognized her for some odd reason. And, i still couldn't figure out how she knew my sister, i know i don't know everything about my sister but i don't think she had a secret boyfriend or anything, so i could rule out her being some sort of mother-in-law. I raked my brain for possibilities but ended up with only more questions and a bunch of lilies in pen all over the page.

"i'm so fucking tired" Rune shouted as he waltzed into the dorm room, i ignored him, i had no energy to deal with him today. I focused on the screen in front of me instead. "I missed you, you're not even going to say hi?" he asked as he took the seat beside me, "leave me alone, i'm trying to work" i responded. I really was, it was the only thing that was keeping me from continuously thinking about Dao and that old lady. Rune really wasn't helping. Just as i thought he was done, i felt his lips on my neck. His kisses felt amazing, but i couldn't bring myself to enjoy them. "Can you not? not today" i said abruptly, instantly he stopped and moved away from me. I was shocked by my tone, my words had come out harsher than i'd expected. "Fine" he shot back before storming away from me, i immediately felt guilty. I stared after him, "Ru-" the bathroom door slammed shut. I turned back in my chair, why is he overreacting? i really wasn't feeling it today. Couldn't he have chosen a better day? 

I hesitantly stood up, walked up to the door, and knocked. He opened the door and ignored my presence as he went over to his own desk. 

"You're so fucking perverse!" i shouted after him, "why do you need to get mad at everything? Today was the day my sister died, so i'm sorry if i don't want to have sex with you right now" i added before punching the wall, a stinging pain erupted in my hand and i cursed everything that came to mind. "Fuck this stupid fucking wall as well" i continued and raised my fist to punch the wall again, instead Rune closed his hand over my tightly wrapped fingers and pulled me into him, surprising me. I buried my face in his shoulder and slowly my racing heart steadied, "i'm sorry" i told him. His arms around me tightened, "don't be" he replied and i chuckled dryly, "i want to punch you" 

"i don't think i could stop you"

I wrapped my arms around his waist, slowly tears i didn't know had pooled in my eyes, rolled down my cheeks. I silently cried in his shoulder.