Chapter 37

It's funny how things turned out. In the last 24 hours, we were a mess, arguing and fighting like always and now it feels like it never happened at all. I let him sleep in my bed and I watched him while gently stoking his hair, which he obviously liked as he seemed more relaxed than I had ever seen him before. He was like a child, curled up next to me, holding my hand under his cheek, slowly breathing in and out peacefully. I could of stayed all day with him like this if I could, but I had to go to work and leave him behind. I hated the idea of leaving and worried that while gone things would change again between us. Maybe I'm being silly or paranoid, but I can't help but feel uneasy. I left him a note with I love yous, where I was going and a few recommendations so he doesn't encounter my brothers, which could potentially cause a lot of drama that we currently don't need.

I'm on the till as per usual, serving customers with a smile, while my thoughts were constantly on him and whether he woke up now and what he might be up to. Is he mad at me for leaving without a word? Will I get back and find him gone? Will he still feel the same way as this morning or will he have changed his mind again? I just felt like a zombie, doing the routine in my job while my head was elsewhere. I tried several times to snap out of it, smiling at the customers like crazy to the point that my cheeks ached, serving them their food, giving them the correct change, or at least I hope I did, but my mind kept going back to him.

It was thankfully busy, making time go by quickly, my feet were starting to hurt from standing all day in front of the till, but I was glad that it was nearly over, giving me the opportunity to find out if Liam, my boyfriend was waiting for me at home and hopefully finding out that nothing had changed between us. 'Boyfriend', I get all giddy just thinking the term and weirdly my smile returns and my worries seem to fade just a little. "Hey you! You're finally smiling genuinely this time. I'm assuming things got sorted out between you and that guy?" Steven says to me, break my line of thought. He's been his usual friendly self, making it less awkward between us and I can't help but smile at him too. I am in a good mood, I'm happy for the first time in what feels like ages despite the odd worries and he's a big reason as to why. He had made things easier for me; he's been understanding and supportive. I don't think I would have had the courage to see Liam last night had he not spoken to me the way he did, making me realise what I had to do. He bowed out gracefully and is still my friend, so yes I'm happy and feel pretty good today. I will stay positive and believe that all will be okay.

"Yeah. Not an ex anymore as we are back on and we sorted things out. Thank you for being a really good friend. I mean it." I reply. "No need for thanks, I didn't do anything. I'm just glad to see you happy and that we can still be friends like before." He says with a warm smile. He is by far the sweetest guy I've ever met and I truly hope one day, he finds that special someone that will make him happy too. "I am happy, really happy, I just hope it lasts and of course we are still friends. I would've of hated it if I lost you."  I smile at him and he warmly smiles back.

"Service people, its rush hour!" Our manager shouts to the kitchen staff and to us as well as the others on the tills, urging us all to be more focused on our jobs. We both nudge each other, rolling our eyes at our young bossy manager who today seems to be on a power trip more than usual, making both of us desperately want to laugh, but we know better and hold back. We just ignore him and get on with our work, still talking from time to time and joking around like nothing changed at all between us. I'm actually glad that things worked out like this and that we both don't feel awkward around each other, that I am still able to talk to him freely like before and that his company makes work more fun and time fly by. I would have been devastated if I lost his friendship and I would of probably felt the need to quit this job, thankfully everything worked out for the best.

It was finally 6pm and I had finally finished my shift for the day. I closed my till and left it for the next person on shift and then clocked out. I went into the small female changing room, covered by lockers all around the walls, pulled my key out from my pocket and placed it into my padlock. I pulled out my bag and got my normal clothes out for me to wear, eager to get out of my smelly uniform which now definitely needs a wash and got changed. I was just about done, when I heard a knock on the door.