Chapter 19

Amarie:

I had to go job hunting today. Chris told me that I didn’t need to get a job because he would provide for me but I was way to independent for that. I didn’t want someone providing for me if I couldn’t even provide for myself. I decided to go downtown and apply to some places there. I walked into some places and I filled out applications. I know some places like H&M where Mel worked I wasn’t going to get hired because of my tattoos and piercings that I had. I walked into Lids and I got an on the spot interview. I wasn’t really dressed for an interview but the guy told me I could come in anyways. He made me fill out the application before I was able to do the interview.

“So your name is …” The guy looked down trying to understand how to say my name. He was an white dude. About 5’9 with a lot of swagg and seemed pretty cool.

“A-MARIE.” I said so that he knew how to pronounce my name. He nodded.

“Oh okay Amarie, I’m Danny.” He told me. He asked me a couple of questions and I answered them to the best of my ability. I had my high school diploma but other than that I really had no job history. I wasn’t stupid and I was a fast learner. I was glad that we didn’t have to do a drug test. The interview was pretty easy and straight forward. 

“Oh okay Amarie, well you did pretty good. I’ll call you in a couple of days to let you know if we have a position for you.” He said shaking my hand.

“Okay thanks, Danny.” I said smiling and left out the store. It was around 12pm and I knew Mel usually went on her break around this time so I decided to call her.

“Hellooooooo.” She said into the phone.

“Hey bitch, you on break? Cause I’m in downtown. I just had a job interview.” I told her.

“Ohhh yeahh I just got on. Meet me at the four corner mall, in the food court in 5.” She told me.

“Okayyy.” I said and hung up the phone and headed over to the food court. I grabbed some McDonalds and I waited for Mel at a table near by. 

“Holaaaa whore.” She said sitting down in the seat in front of me. I smiled at her. “Soooo I hear my baby had a job interview! How did it go?!?” Mel asked excitedly. I laughed.

“I think it went good but I’m not too sure. He is suppose to call me tomorrow.” I said cheesing.

“You seem happy about it. I’m happy for you.” Mel said cheesing as well.

“I mean I am happy, excited that this might be my first job and shit.” I said. I was really happy and I was glad that I was starting to get on track with my life. I wasn’t dealing and I just had a job interview. My life was going on the right course for once. I had a AMAZING boyfriend, awesome friends, and one GREAT best friend that I was sitting with. 

“I’m glad you’re happy Mari, everything seems good. I think you should go to school. Start college and stuff.” A big lump of spit got caught in my throat. I really didn’t like school but eventually I did want to get my degree and make something out of myself. I just don’t know if I’m ready to go to school yet.