Chapter 29

Amarie:

“Have you ever had sex with another man?” I asked Hefa. We were sitting in the back for our lunch break. Me and Hefa have grown quite close over the past couple of months. We spent a lot of time and he helped me when I was going through the worst. He was dependable and he was comforting, and that is what I loved about him. I could actually trust him with certain things, of course not full yet. Only person I trust fully was Mel.

“I’m bisexual, you act like my life is fully committed to men.” Hefa said laughing.

“I mean I know that. So you had sex with both women and men?” I asked Hefa and he nodded. I was just curious. I mean if you look at Hefa he didn’t really come off at the bi type. He seemed more straight than anything. “What are you more interested in? Women or men?” I asked.

“What is this an integration room?” Hefa said laughing. It was always smiles and laughs when it came to him. I smiled at him.

“No, I mean I’m just curious. You are like becoming one of my best friends. I think I have a right to know. I need to learn to trust you. You know me.” I said making up an excuse for the answers. I wasn’t fully lying, he was becoming one of my best friends. It was actually weird. I never had a best friend, let alone a friend other than Mel. I kept to myself.

“I’m more interested in women but I don’t mind dating and having sexual relations with men. Happy now?” He laughed.

“Ohhhh, okay. So do you have a girlfriend or boyfriend?” I continued to ask. He let out an annoyed sigh.

“Mari, seriously. No I don’t. Now no more damn questions.” He said giving me a fake laugh. He didn’t have to pretend to be happy all the time. 

“Okay, okay. I’m sorry. I just wanted to know some things about you.” I said leaning my head on his shoulder. He tilted his head on top of mines.

“It’s okay. How are you and Christopher?” Hefa asked.

“Good, taking it day by day. He is really trying.” I said simply. He nodded.

“I’m glad. Now lets get back to work.” We got back up and headed back out to the floor.

***

Hours later I was sitting in front of my probation officer. I was late like usually but he still let me come in to see him. It was going on 3 o’clock and I was suppose to be there at 1 o’clock. I sat in the chair in front of his desk like usually. He pulled out my folder reviewing a couple of things. What did he want to talk about today? Ain’t shit going to change, ain’t going to tell him my life story.

“How are you?” He ask. Exactly how he starts every meeting. He knows what I’m going to fucking say.

“I’m good Tremaine.” I said. He smiled at me.

“Oh so I finally get called by first name. I see some progress.” He said reviewing my folder. What the fuck was in that damn folder. “So, I wanted to talk to you a little about your past.” He said still reviewing the folder. I gave him a blank stare. “Looks like you have a criminal background. Grand Theft Auto, Assault on numerous occasions. You are a fighter I see. Robbery, Threats, Attempted murder?” He questions on the last one.

“When I was 17 a girl said something bad about my mom, I wasn’t having it.” I said simply. He looked up at me uneasy. He looked down back at the folder to read what it said.

“It says here that you held a knife to her throat after almost beating her to near death.” He said reading the file. It wasn’t the first time. “I see you take it extremely serious when it comes to your mother. Why don’t you talk about her?” He asked.