Chapter 42

Chris:

9 days later

I sat down next to Amarie’s bed. She was still in a coma. I was the only one here because everyone went home to get some rest. I spent every night here, not thinking to go back home. I didn’t want to leave her here alone. I just looked at the side of her face. The breathing tube was finally out because the doctors said that she should be doing fine breathing on her own and hopefully she would awake any day now. I intertwined my fingers in hers but she had no grip at all, it felt horrible. I just wanted her to hold my hand back and knowing she wasn’t in the state to do so hurt me more than anything. The doctor walked in to do his daily checkup.

“Hello Chris, you never go home do you?” The doctor said chuckling while checking some machine.

“Nah Doc, you know…” I said trailing off.

“I can promise you that she will be okay under my care.” He said giving me a half smile.

“I know, I just really don’t want to leave her.” I confessed. He nodded at me. He checked some machines and started to head out. He got to the entrance of the hospital door and turned around.

“You know you can talk to her right? She hears everything that you say.” The doctor said. He was giving me some advice. I looked at him confused. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to say to her. I mean, I had a lot to say. “Just try it, I’m sure she would be happy.” He smiled and walked out the door.

I looked down at Mari who was lying in the hospital bed. I had so much to say and I didn’t even know where to start. I just wanted to tell her everything that I should have told her before she left the house, she shouldn’t have left. I needed to tell her how I truly felt.

“Mari …. Baby.” I started off. She didn’t move. “This is stupid. I don’t know what I’m doing.” I muttered to myself but something to tell me to keep going so I did. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry for fucking up. I never meant to hurt you …. Well I did but I was stupid. I’m a stupid ass person for real. I love you so much … I love you more than I love myself. I know my promises probably mean nothing right now but I promise that I will never hurt you, ever again. It’s just sad that it took you lying in the hospital bed for me to realize how much I need you.” I said chucking at the last sentence. “I’m pathetic, I’m nothing with you.” I said. I used my other hand to pull out the promise ring. I placed it on her finger. “I promise.” I said and intertwined my fingers back in her, I felt her squeezing back.

Amarie:

I needed to wake up. I needed to see his face. I felt a sharp pain in my chest, what the fuck was going on? My eyes slowly fluttered open and the bright light stung my eyes. I shut my eyes back closed. I let out a small moan. This pain was horrible. My chest was so tight and it felt heavy.

“Baby, baby … Mari? Oh shit. Doc!” I heard a familiar voice scream. They needed to shut the fuck up! About to blow my ear drum. I tried to move my body but I couldn’t, I was in way too much pain. I heard some rustling in the room. Where the fuck was I? I tried again to open up my eyes, I slowly opened them. Everything was blurry all I saw was colors and weird shaped objects. My eyes adjusted for a few minutes by I still couldn’t process as to what was going on. I heard machines beeping and I could feel people hovering over me.

“Amarie.” I heard an unfamiliar voice say. I slowly looked to my side and saw a tall, skinny while man with a bald head. I looked at him with so much confusion. Who was this? I had so many questions. A bright light was brought to my eyes. I blinked it away and let out a groan.

--- 

The next morning I realized I was in a hospital bed and the doctor told me that I had been shot twice in the chest. The last thing I remembered was Hennessey and how she pointed the gun towards me. She shot me, that bitch shot me. I laid in the hospital bed watching TV. I wondered where everyone was, had anyone came to see me? Last night was all a blur and I woke up this morning feeling okay. My chest was still in pain though.