An Expression Made of Steel

(A/N today, Spider-Man was removed from Marvel and the full rights were released to Sony again because of a disagreement about money. I'm very sad and I could go on a whole rant like I've already done to all of my friends who like Marvel, but I'll resist myself. *sighs in bisexual* I hate this, though.)

*PETER'S POV*

I swing my way back to the café on the corner of West 44th street and land in the back alley.

I silently pray that my backpack hasn't been stolen.

I turn the corner and it's still there, sagging against the wall. I sigh in relief and, with some difficulty, pull it out of the webbing.

I open it, change out of my suit and back into my regular clothes, and grab my phone out of the side pocket.

HARLEY KEENER - 1 MISSED CALL, 3 MESSAGES

Oh no.

I slide to open the message.

"Where are you?"
"You just like, disappeared lol."
"I'm going home, um... text me whenever I guess."

Aw.

My heart ached. I really did just disappear. He has no idea why.

I didn't go inside. There was no point since he was already gone. I just put my backpack on and walked into New York City.

*HARLEY'S POV*

As soon as I got home, I put my phone done on my desk and turned the ringer on. Maybe Peter would call me and tell me he's okay.

I just want to know that he's okay.

Bad thoughts infiltrated my mind.

What if he's not okay?
What if something bad happened?
What if he just... left?
What if he doesn't like me anymore?

I silently cursed my overbearing anxiety and walked to the kitchen. As I was making a sandwich, I heard my phone go off.

I ran to my room and picked it up.

INCOMING CALL FROM: PETER PARKER

I rapidly pressed the accept button and put the phone to my ear.

"Hi..."

"Peter..." I sighed.

"I'm really sorry."

"What happened?"

There was silence on the line for a few seconds. Those seconds seemed like hours.

"It was just..."

He couldn't finish his sentence.

"What?" I pushed him to continue.

I heard a huff on the other side of the line.

"Harley, it's just kind of hard for me to talk about."

"What do you mean? I don't understand."

"I've been sort of..." He paused. "Sworn to secrecy? I don't know. Something like that."

Silence.

What else could I say?

*PETER'S POV*

I wanted to tell him.