A Big Decision and A Big Mistake

(A/N hey guys! so I know I said last chapter that this chapter would be the final one, but the way things turned out makes the next chapter the final one. so this is the second to last one, the next one will be the final chapter of this book! but I am making a sequel so keep your eyes out for that when I publish it! enjoy the chapter...)

*HARLEY'S POV*

The orange rays of morning sunshine woke me up, straying in small stripes on my new, gigantic bed in my new, gigantic room. I yawned and rolled over onto my back. As I stared at the blank ceiling, I thought about how I would word everything I needed to say today. How I would do what I needed to do.

I sighed and decided to stop thinking about it until the time came to do it. It gave me a sickening feeling in my stomach. For some reason, I felt like a traitor.

I got my phone from the small table beside my bed to check the time. It was 5:57 AM. The sun was just now coming up.

I chuckled to myself. I never wake up this early without an alarm. Everything that happened last night was just too exciting that I barely got any sleep.

I sent a good morning text to Peter and, to my surprise, he texted back.

Good morning babe.

Why are you up so early? I asked him.

Couldn't sleep. Thinking about you xo

I smiled. Before I could respond, there was tiny knock at my door. Peter walked in without waiting for a response and peeked over at me. "Hi silly," I said with a smirk. His hair was all messy from sleeping and he looked like he had just woken up too. He waved and sat down on the bed beside me.

One thing about Peter: he doesn't talk in the mornings. You have to force it out of him.

"Why were you thinking about me?" I asked, turning on my side to face him. He was staring at the tiny sliver of the sunrise city outside that you could see from my parted curtains. He shrugged. I sighed. "Will you talk to me?"

"I just got up," he groaned.

"I knowww," I mocked him. "But you have vocal chords."

"I just want to be with you," he said with the tiniest of smiles. His pretty brown eyes glinted in the morning light and I admired them. I patted next to where I was lying and he curled up beside me. I wrapped my arms around him. I could feel him breathing, in and out, and I savored this time. Every single moment.

In this world, the world of the present, there was nothing except him and me and the morning. There was no Eric, there was no rape, there was no fighting, there was no injury, there was no poverty, there was no death, there were no aliens, there was no anxiety about the future. There was no fear of what I was about to do. It was just him, me, and the morning.

I touched his hair with my thumb and kissed the top of his head, my lips coming into contact with his bouncy curls.

Right then and there, I was sure. Tears filled my eyes and I started to cry, silently. He looked at me, a worried expression plastered on his face. "Babe," he wiped my tears away with his thumb, "what is it?"

I was silent for a long time, just crying and crying into his shoulder as he held me there, rubbing my back and sharing my pain though he had no idea what was going on. My shoulders shook with each sob and he held me tighter. "Do you want to tell me what's wrong?" He whispered gently in my ear.

I pulled away from him, wiping my red eyes on my sleeve and sniffing. "Peter, I-" I took a staggered breath, trying to regain control of my emotions. "I'm so sorry. I can't stay."