The Three Words

*HARLEY'S POV*

I wanted to tell Peter I love him. Because I do.

I love Peter Parker.

But I was nervous, and I almost just blurted it out. It already felt so natural. I stopped myself because I didn't know how he would react. I didn't want to scare him away by saying it too soon, though I do want to tell him.

Just... not over the phone. Telling someone you love them is a big step in a relationship and I think it should be at the right time.

On another note, I've been thinking a lot about it and I think it's time I tell my family what happened. I know they'll be insanely worried and want me to come back but I'll explain to them why I'm staying in New York and how I reported Eric to the police and everything. Hopefully that'll be good enough.

I don't know how often Peter goes on these missions but I hope they aren't frequent. It worries me to death thinking about him fighting bad guys and possibly getting injured... or worse. I know he's in the best hands you could ask for, the Avengers, but even they make mistakes sometimes.

Yesterday was terrible. As soon as I saw the news about the breach in Wakanda, I freaked. I started calling and texting Peter like crazy, even though I knew he wouldn't answer.

Then hours and hours passed and I became more and more anxious. What if something bad had happened? Where was he? Why wasn't he responding? They should be okay by now, right? Is he injured?

Is he dead?

I couldn't help but wonder and worry. I care about Peter too much to try to "distract" myself when I know he could be seriously hurt. I know worrying won't do anything but it's not super easy to just stop.

I felt a huge breeze of relief when I saw Peter's text message. It was like huge weights had been lifted off my shoulders and I could finally breathe normally again.

And so that's how I knew. That is how I officially knew that I love Peter Parker.

And so when he called me that night, I almost let it slip.

But now is not the right time.

*PETER'S POV*

Waking up the day after a big fight is excruciating.

Especially if you got shocked with 100 mega-amps of power and slammed in the side of the head with a piece of concrete.

I opened my eyes groggily, the bright sunshine burning its way through the small slit in the curtains onto my bed. I rubbed my eyes, yawned, and sat up.

I winced as I tried to stand. My legs were sorer than they've ever been and my back hurt too.

I rubbed my head and tried not to focus on how much pain I was enduring and instead on the fact that Tony and Stephen were gone.

I looked around the room confusedly and checked the clock:

6:30 AM

How early do they wake up?!

I wandered into the hallway and sure enough, they were both there.

"Hi Pete," Tony smiled, "how are you?"

"Um, good. I don't feel great but I'm fine."

"Well we don't have a long day ahead of us today," Stephen said, "we're going home."

"What? Really?"

They both nodded.

"Why?"

"We figured something out when Electro paid us a visit here," Tony started. "He follows the news. The news usually knows where we are, unless it's classified. So, if we went back to New York, the reporters would be there, like I said earlier." He smiled at Stephen, "And we could get Electro to come to us."