Promise?

(A/N this is totally irrelevant to the story but I'm a drama queen and I just want to let you guys know that I am very sunburnt and in a great amount of pain. thank you for listening.)

*HARLEY'S POV*

When I made my way up to the roof that night, Peter wasn't there. I frowned.

Where is he? He always comes.

I grabbed my phone and called him. It rang.

And rang.

And rang.

Until the voicemail lady told me he couldn't answer the phone right now. I sighed, hung up, and left. I'll stop by his apartment on the way back to mine, just to make sure he's okay.

This isn't like him.

——————————

I arrived at Peter's apartment after a very awkward taxi ride with a man that was yelling in fluent Spanish to a woman over the phone. I sat in the back uncomfortably with my hands folded in my lap the whole way, making out only a few words that I knew from my high school Spanish class.

I try calling Peter one more time. As expected, he doesn't answer. So I enter the building, take the elevator to the 8th floor, and knock on his door.

His aunt opens it. She smiles widely at me.

Wow. His aunt is beautiful. I guess I expected her to be... older or something.

"Hi, Ms. Parker. I'm Harley Keener, I just came to see if Peter was home."

At this, her smile grew even more and she invited me inside. "Yes, he is. He's in his room." She leaned over, "I'm not quite sure what he's doing, though." I laughed and she guided me around the apartment, which smelled like a log cabin, to Peter's room.

She started to walk away and then turned back. "Also, you can call me May. 'Ms. Parker' makes me sound old." I chuckled. "Of course, May." She winked and went back to the kitchen.

I knocked on Peter's door. I could see a small slit of light escaping the room from the crack under the door and I soon saw the shadow of a figure coming closer and closer, along with the sound of muffled footsteps. He opened the door slowly, saw me, and sighed. "I'm sorry..."

My heart ached. "For what?"

"I didn't come to our spot tonight."

"It's okay," I assured him. I placed my hand on his shoulder comfortingly and looking into his eyes. "I just wanted to make sure you were alright."

"I'm fine... I've just..." He was struggling to get his words out and I waited patiently. He sighed, "I guess I've just had a lot on my mind today. Plus I'm grounded, so... I don't even know why May let you come see me."

"Grounded? Why?"

"Long story..." He smiled weakly.

"Oh." An awkward silence overcame us. "Uh, what have you had on your mind?"

He thought for a moment, like he was hesitant. Then he seemed to make up his mind. "Well, I need to tell you anyway. Come in," he opened the door wider and motioned for me to come inside. I followed his instructions and the door clicked shut behind us. "So um... today all the Avengers had a meeting. Even Doctor Strange, Black Panther and his little sister, Shuri, and Bucky, Sam, the whole gang." He lowered his head. "It wasn't anything good, though. Apparently there's a man that calls himself 'Electro' going around and using technology that he created to control electricity. He's sending out EMPs, he's downing the power in entire cities. Phones, cars, planes, power outlets, nothing works. W-Well, it's getting pretty bad and we have to do something about it. T'Challa volunteered Wakanda as the main site so I- I think we're going there for at least a week or so. Just to figure everything out, hopefully stop this guy."

I tried to process all of this information as best as I could. It was a brain overload. "Um... wow."

"Yeah."

I grabbed his hand lovingly and put it between mine. I kissed it lightly, my eyes not leaving his. "You'll be okay. We'll be okay. You just have to promise me one thing, okay?"

He nodded vigorously.

"Promise me you'll stay safe."

"I promise." There were the traces of tears in his eyes. "I promise I'll stay safe."

"Good." I kissed his forehead this time, his head dipping into my neck. He leaned against me and I held him in my arms. Eventually I lied down on his bed and he followed suit, my arms still wrapped around him. He fell asleep on me and I chuckled lightly to myself. I could feel his heart beating, his chest moving ever so slightly. Up, down. And a small smile on his lips as I ran my fingers through his hair.

I started to drift off to sleep, but I jolted awake when May bursted suddenly into the room with no warning. Peter also woke up, though not as quickly as me.

"Peter, do you have-" She looked up and noticed the two of us. "Oh..." She smiled again.

I don't know her very well but I already love her. And her smile.

Peter groaned. "Mayyy."

"Sorry. Um, I'll go. But I need the laptop," she grabbed it off of Peter's desk and sneakily walked out the door, turning back around and giving us one last look with a smirk.

"Sorry about that," Peter sighed and flopped his head back down on my chest. I laughed, "it's okay. I like her."

"She's pretty cool," he smiled. "Most of the time."

"So, uh... when are you leaving?" I asked casually after a moment's silence, still softly running my fingers through his wavy brown hair.

"Not sure," he sighed and rolled over to where he was lying beside of me. "I guess whenever they tell me we need to go."

"That's reassuring," I chuckle.

He shrugs. "It's just part of it. They never really tell me the details."

"Maybe it's for the best," I smirk at him and he scoffs dramatically, then throws a pillow at me. I fall over on the bed laughing and he does too. I see him look at me in my peripheral vision and I turn towards him to meet his gaze. We both automatically kiss, my hands on the back of his head, fingers tangled in his hair again.

We pull apart, smiling with a lovesick expression. "Glad your aunt didn't walk in on that," I whisper and smile sneakily. He nods his head and winks.

-
-
-

{A/N thanks so much for reading my lovelies :) hope you're still enjoying it. don't forget to vote, comment, and follow me so you never miss an update ;) sorry this update took so long, by the way.}

bye for now

•1,135 words•