Chapter 1

Marley Lea

I take the bottom two corners of the duvet in my hands and shake it over the bed, once I straightened it out I place the pillows on top of the bed and over the duvet. I pick up the dirty washing and throw it into my basket that's by the door. I hear a small groan from behind me. I turn around and see my boss with a shirt in his face.

"Oh my god." I go over to him and take the shirt off of his face. "I am so sorry, Sir. I didn't know you was standing there." He laughed and looked down at me.

"It's quite alright Miss Lea."

"Please call me Marley, you make me sound old when you call me Miss Lea."

"Alright. Marley." I visibly shivered at the way my name rolled off of his tongue.

"Is it cold Marley?" I shivered again.

"No Sir, I just get these random shivers every now and then." The lie easily rolled off of my tongue.

"Ah. I would like you to come to my office once you have finished your jobs, there is something I would like to talk to you about."

"Of course, Sir."

"Marley, please, call me Damien."

"Alright. Damien." I blushed and looked away for a split second and then looked back at Damien who was staring at me with an intense gaze, as if he was trying to figure me out. There was a fire burning in his eyes as he stared down at me. 

"Right after you finish Marley."

"Yes Damien." He gave me a small smile and turned to leave. "Damien?" He turned back around with the smile still on his face.

"Yes Marley?"

"I'm about to go downstairs to do the washing, would you like me to make you some lunch? Or maybe a tea or coffee."

"Can you bring up two servings of the same thing you make for me please?"

"Of course. Is Miss Louise back from Amsterdam?" 

"No she is not due back until next week."

"Oh is it a guest then?"

"You could say that."

"Okay, do they like tea, coffee, water, juice?"

"Whichever you like, I'm sure they will like too."

"Of course Damien. I'll let you leave now." He let out a small chuckle and hit his hand on the door frame.

"See you in a little while Marley." He turned around and left. I could still feel the blush on my cheeks, so I fanned myself until I felt a little cooler. I collected the rest of the washing and went down to the washing room. 

"Hello Mary-Jane." I greeted her once I entered the kitchen after doing the washing. Mary-Jane has been here ever since Damien was a little boy and after his fathers death he inherited all of his fathers properties and his company. Mary-Jane was the only member of staff he kept.

"Oh hello dear." Mary-Jane was like a mother to me, my mum died when I was very young and my dad left when he found out she was pregnant with me, so I was put into the system and I stayed at the orphanage until I was 18, when I finished college I left the orphanage and came here. I had no where else to go and I saw an advert for being a maid and I went for the interview, surprisingly I got the job and I haven't left here ever since, I haven't had a day off even when I'm ill I fight through it and work, 7 days a week, 18 hours a day.

"What are you doing here dear?" She asked while stirring the batter in the bowl.

"I have just done a pile of washing and now I am making lunch for Damien and his guest."

"Guest? What guest dear?"

"I'm not too sure, Mary-Jane. I don't think they are here yet. What shall I make them?"

"Make Damien a sandwich, he likes bacon, chicken and mayonnaise." She told me even though I already knew that that was his favourite sandwich.

"Okay, shall I make his guest the same?" I queried.

"Yes dear." I went to the fridge and took the bacon, chicken and mayonnaise out of the fridge. The bacon and chicken had already been cooked and were both in a bowl.

"Would you like one too?"

"Oh, no I'm okay dear. Make yourself something."

"I'm not really hungry." As I said that my stomach rumbled which cause Mary-Jane to let out a loud laugh. "I'll make something once I've given Damien and his guest there's. Could you boil the kettle for me please?"

"Of course." I opened the bread bin and took out four slices of bread, I took a knife out of the cutlery drawer and opened the jar of mayonnaise I spread the mayonnaise on all fours slices of bread and put chicken and bacon on only two slices then placed the other two slices on top and cut them into two triangles. I grabbed two plates from the cupboard above my head and put a sandwich on each plates, I opened a bag of vegetable crisps and put a handful on both plates.

The kettle had just finished boiling when I finished making the lunch, I took two cups off of the cupholder and opened the box of teabags and put one in each cup, I poured the water into both cups. I took the chicken, bacon and mayonnaise back to the fridge, I took the milk out and went back over to the tea and I poured in a bit of milk in both cups and then took out the teabags and threw them in the bin. 

I took a tray out from beside the fridge and put both plates and cups on the tray, "Thank you for boiling the kettle Mary-Jane."

"No problem. You did the most amount of work though." I smiled and took off towards Damiens office. 

Once I was outside his door, I tried to take a hand away from the tray but then I realised if I did the tray would fall, so I chose to do the safer option and kick the door but it opened before I could and I almost fell forward.

I waited for the crash and the impact of my body falling onto the floor, but a pair of strong, large hands held onto my shoulders and steadied me. I looked up and saw those beautiful brown eyes staring down at me.