Chapter 39

Everything had been set on the table, food, drinks the cake. The Bluey balloons were blowing in the wind with the sun beaming down on my skin as I set down all the party bags. "Marley, darling, come and sit down. You have been rushing all over the place since 5 this morning. This cannot be good for the baby." Damien ushers me to the garden swing, handing me a glass of water and two pills. 

"What's that?" I asked with a sigh trying to get rid of this headache with a couple of gulps of water. 

"Your vitamins. I know you haven't taken them this morning because your pill box was filled." He answered forcing his hand closer to me. 

"I don't need to take them just yet."

"Marley you've been saying that every day for the past two weeks. I know you are worrying about Rhys's birthday but take a breath and calm down. You're pushing yourself to do more than you can." He pulled my hand towards him and put the pills in my hand. "Take them." I swallow down the tablets and take in the ice-cold water, calming down my headache. 

"I know I'm not taking care of myself much lately, I just need this to be his best birthday yet. His first birthday wasn't the best because I couldn't afford it. You're here this time and I wanted it to be a good experience for you."

"Marley, it's going to be the best birthday whether there are lots of people and presents and cake, or if it is just us watching tv with our family." He assured in a tender tone. He towered over me before kneeling in front of me, taking the glass out of my hand and placing it on the decking under us. "You are a wonderful mother and nothing will change that, what matters is that you have thought of him and are gifting him with a party." 

"Will you enjoy it?" I sniffled as I wiped away a lone tear on the back of my hand. 

"Marley, my love, I enjoy everything that you do. I'm grateful I'm here this year. There is nothing more in this world that I could ever wish for than to be here surrounded by our family and celebrating another year of our son's life." He consoled. He cupped my cheek in his hands and brought his face closer to mine, resting his forehead on mine. "You are the best mother to Rhys and you will be the best mother to this little one." His hand fell to my belly.

In the background, I could hear Rhys calling my name from the house. I turn around just as he is waddling onto the garden decking with Mary-Jane following behind him. "Good morning birthday boy!" I cheered. He squealed as he ran towards me, arms wide open, calling for me to pick him up and wrap him in the safety of my arms. "You are getting heavier with every day that passes. Mummy won't be able to carry you soon, darling." 

"Why?" He asked me for the millionth time this week. 'Why' had become his favourite word. In every conversation we would have, his response will always be 'Why', even when he does not need to ask. 

"Because mummy is growing a little brother or sister in her tummy, so she will not be able to carry you as often as she does now," Damien answered. Much to my demise, the doctor had requested that I do no heavy lifting and I suppose carrying a two-year-old boy that is growing by the day, comes under the title of heavy lifting. "What time is everyone arriving, Marley?"

"They should all start arriving at 12." I looked over at the garden clock. "So we have 3 hours to make sure this party is ready and perfect." I set Rhys down on his feet and told him to go with Mary-Jane to get ready for the party. "I set his clothes out on his dresser Mary-Jane." She smiled at me and beckoned Rhys to join her. I turn around to the food table and start setting out the paper plates. 

Two strong arms wrap around my waist and pull me into their chest. Damien's scent fills the air and I can't help but breathe it in. "What are you doing?" I sigh.