Chapter 23

It's been a few days since it was Damien's thirtieth birthday and somehow I have successfully avoided James until the end of his stay. I have spent some more time with Luke, we went out for lunch on Thursday and then we took Rhys to the park, it gave Damien some time to do some work without being interrupted. "Luke that isn't your colour." I told Luke as he modelled his shirts, Luke and James were leaving today and where Luke was going home to his fiancé, he wanted to look his best.

"What do you mean it's not my colour? Red is everyones colour!" He sighed exasperatedly.

"Not yours." I scoff. He glared at me and stuck his tongue out like a child, he may be four years older than me but he is most definitely less mature. "You're such a child. Tell Maddie that not to have your children, they'll make you even more childish that you already are."

"Why do I have a sister? You're so mean."

"It's the whole sibling package my friend."

"Fuck off." I gasp.

"Hey, watch it a child is present you moron." I scold, looking at Rhys who was happily bouncing on my lap acting like he hasn't got a care in the world, which he hasn't he's eighteen months old. Rhys finally said 'dada' with Damien present on Friday, when I tell you that Damien cried I mean it, I have never seen him cry so much it was adorable.

"He doesn't know what I'm saying." Luke points out.

"No but his father will, last time you swore in front of Rhys Damien spoiled a scene of Little women, did he not?"

"He did." He grumbles. "Fucking twat."

"Beth dies." He gasps.

"What! No she doesn't, not Beth. Please tell me you're lying." His lip quivers and I very nearly cave in and tell him I'm lying, but then I would be lying by telling him I'm lying so I shake my head.

"I'm not lying, she really does die... like you will if you carry on swearing around my son."

"This is the worst form of torture. If anyone kidnaps me in the future, tell them that instead of using weapons to torture me they should just ask me what book I am reading and spoil it for me."

"Luke, if anyone kidnaps you they will send you back straight away because you are an annoying little toe rag that can't keep his mouth shut."

"What did I do to deserve such a horrible sister?"

"You've done a lot of things, what about what happened in Paris?" His eyes widened.

"You better shut up right now."

"What was it again? Oh yes I remember what Damien told me, you ruined a child's childhood and a couples marriage."

"Hey it wasn't my fault, one I thought that kid understood that Mickey Mouse really is a person under the mask, and I really thought that I saw that man copping a feel on that younger woman while his wife was sat right next to him, I thought I should tell her. When I found out what really happened, well the damage was already done." He babbled.

"Okay shut up, wear the white shirt with the tan trousers. Maddie will love it, now get out of my kitchen, I'm making you and James a sandwich each for the journey home."

"Alright, alright I'm going." He turns around and starts to leave the kitchen, but stops at the threshold of the room and turns back to me. "Will you ever give dad a chance?"

"I don't know Luke, maybe."

"He really is sorry for what he did, he just wants a proper relationship with you to try and make things right."

"I might agree with meeting him for lunch or for a drink at some point, but that doesn't mean I will forgive him just like that."

"I know."

"Good. Now go." He smiles and finally leaves my kitchen still wearing that god awful red shirt.

****

"Don't be a stranger alright." I whisper into Luke's ear as we hug one final hug before he and James leave.

"I won't." I pull away from Luke and step back and stand next to Damien, taking his spare hand into mine while his other arm is occupied by Rhys. "Are we still on for dinner on Tuesday Damien?"

"Yeah, we're still on. We can't stay out too late though, we're going to Disneyland in the morning." Shit I forgot about Disney.

"That's alright, Maddie can't wait to meet you Marley."

"I can't wait to meet her as well." I say, smiling at him. In all honesty, I'm quite nervous to meet her, don't get me wrong she sounds lovely but she has been in Damiens and Luke's lives for so long and I don't want to make a bad impression.

"Right, we best be off taxi's waiting." James was stood behind Luke looking around the living room avoiding my face. I fight a current battle in my head and unfortunately the nice side wins. I sigh and smile at Luke before stepping past him and walking to James. I was only a few feet away when he finally met my eyes.

"I was wondering if maybe you wanted to meet up, we could talk and grab a drink. I haven't had the chance to get to know you properly." I smile. James was shocked, you could tell by the silence I got from him for about two minutes straight.

"Dad?" Luke says from behind me, James snaps out of his daydream and finally comes back to the real world.

"Yes, that sounds great." He answers. "I would love to get to know you as well."

"Great, well we should arrange something for when we come back off of our holiday."

"Perfect." I pushed myself forward and worked the courage to even embrace him into a hug, he was hesitant at first but after a few seconds of understanding what was happening, he accepted my embrace and wrapped his arms around me, holding me in a fatherly hug.

"Bye." I mutter as soon as I pull away. I step back into Damiens familiar embrace and welcome the fresh scent of his aftershave. "You smell good. Homely."

"Thank you. You smell good too." James opens the door and walks down the path to the porch and as soon as Luke catches up with him, another taxi pulls up behind theirs and out jump three women I haven't seen in a long time. May squeals as soon as she sees me standing by the door, I wave goodbye to James and Luke and watch as their taxi pulls away and then I finally drag my attention back to these three women that look incredibly tanned.

May ignores her suitcase that is lying on the floor and immediately runs up the path towards me, my eyes widen as she flings herself at me and I quickly react and catch her in a hug, leaving Damiens warm embrace and accepting hers. "So, what did we miss?"