Chapter 13

Over the next few weeks, I tried really hard to make myself better for Rhys and Damien, but most importantly for myself. After the small squabble Damien and I had we decided that we wouldn't get into anything until I was ready, I don't think I will be ready until I am able to open up to him about everything that happened over the years I was away.

We spoke about me going to see a therapist but I declined, I just can't stand being in a room with a stranger that won't help me at all. All they will do is talk, it won't take away what happened. It will never take it away.

Damien and Rhys' relationship has grown immensely, it seems like Damien is the only one that can calm Rhys down now, Damien is a completely different person around him. When he comes home from work he seems angry at times but once he has laid eyes on Rhys all of the events from work just wash away.

I was soaking in the bath with scented candles lit on the corner of the bath, soothing my tense muscles and washing away all of the stress and negative thoughts from today. I heard a light giggle from outside the door of the bathroom and Damien's voice. I silenced my movements in the water and tuned into their 'conversation'.

"You know you are so lucky to have your mummy, you know that? She is so perfect, gorgeous and generous. There isn't anything she wouldn't do for you Rhys, remember that when you are older." I felt an ache in my chest, Rhys replied with another babble of words and a squeal with a clap of his hands. "She loves you so much."

"Mama." My eyes almost popped out of my skull, I quickly clambered out of the bath and wrapped a towel around my body, without drying my feet I opened the door and stared at Rhys, tears brimmed my eyes and I saw Rhys sitting on the bed clapping his hands, repeating the same word over and over again.

"Did- Did he just say what I think he just said?" I stuttered pointing my finger between them. Damien nodded. "Did he just say his first word?"

"I think he just did."

"Holy fucking shit!" I cried. "He just said mama. He just said mama." I repeated. I bent down and picked Rhys up and held him close to my body, warmth filled my body, excitement and happiness was running through my veins, my heart was beating so fast I thought it was about to jump out of my chest and run away. "Damien he just said mama." I was hugging Rhys so tightly I almost forgot that he was a vulnerable child and nearly broke his ribs from how tight it was.

"I know baby, I know. You scared the bejesus out of me when you opened up that door, I thought you was out."

"I never go out who do you think I am, I have work to do around this place."

"No you don't." He sang. "By the way, I don't know if this is the best time to say it but, my mother is coming over in the next half an hour."

"What?" I almost yelled.

"Oh and she might not know that I have a son. She knows I am in love with someone, but she doesn't know that it's you."

"And by me you mean the woman you cheated on Louise with?" He nodded sheepishly.

"You might want to get ready." He took Rhys off of me and started walking out of the door when I said.

"She's going to hate me."

"No she won't. It's impossible to hate you." I could hear the smile in his voice and then started to get dressed.

I pulled my hair into a presentable bun with my curly bits framing my face, I was dressed in a blue summer dress even though it was the middle of December, along with a thigh-high, white knitted cardigan. I could hear Rhys clapping and giggling downstairs when the doorbell echoed through the house. I could feel the nerves building up and shook my hands to try and keep calm, I flattened my dress and made my way down stairs. I picked up Rhys who was sitting on the toy mat, who was holding a plastic, red ring in his mouth. "Hey baby." I cooed. "Are you going to meet your grandma? Yes you are."