Chapter 2

Marley Lea

 "Are you alright, Marley?" His voice pulled me away from my trance, I looked away from his eyes and studied the rest of his face.

"Yes I'm fine. I just couldn't knock on the door so I was going to kick it and then you opened it and I fell forward, which almost spilt your food and tea. Sorry." I apologised with a slight blush of embarrassment.

"No need to apologise Marley." He moved out of the way of the door and I stepped in. I sauntered over to his desk and placed the tray down, being careful not to crumple the paperwork scattered on his desk.

"Has your guest arrived yet?" He closed his door and moved over to his desk, taking a seat in his chair.

"Yes they have."

"Shall I go and open the door for them?" I asked. He shook his head and tidied up the paperwork that was sat in front of him. 

"No thank you. They have let themselves in." I gave him slight nod.

"Is there anything else I can do for you?" I raised my eyebrows slightly, he looked up from his paperwork and set it aside.

"Yes, sit down." He gestured to the chair that was in front of his desk.

"I should really get back to work, and your guest will be here any minute, so I couldn't intrude in your conversations." 

"Marley, you are my guest. Sit down." He ordered with a playful tone. I immediately sat down and looked around his office trying to avoid his gaze. "That sandwich is for you, so is the tea." I looked at him to see if he was joking or not. 

He wasn't.

"I can't eat that."

"Why not?" He asked with his mouth full. 

"I'm not very hungry." I lied. I was starving but I really shouldn't eat with him.

"I haven't seen you eat all day and I have gone into the kitchen regularly since this morning."

"You don't get up until 9, of course you wouldn't have seen me eat." I stated.

"You know when I wake up?"

"Of course I do. I am a member of your staff and I make your morning coffee." I can't believe he didn't know I knew when he woke up, I mean I am the first one to get up and the last to go to bed.

"Eat." He took another bite out of his sandwich and I picked up mine, I took a bite out of it and ate it slowly, I almost let out a moan at how good it tasted. I haven't had a good sandwich in weeks. "Tell me, how long do you work for?" He asked.

"7 days a week, 18 hours a day." I answered and put my sandwich down. I took a small gulp of tea and leaned back in my chair with the cup in my hands.

"You only have 6 hours that you don't work a day? You don't have a lot of free time." I took a couple more sips from my tea.

"I work for how long I think I should work. I may work a lot of over time but I do it because I have nothing else to do, it's not like I have any time off to do anything anyway."

"Have you ever had a day off?" I shook my head. "Why not?" He raised his eyebrows and frowned.

"I have nothing to do, so there is no point in having a day off and I rarely get ill, but even when I get ill I still work. And I wouldn't frown if I was you, you wouldn't want to get wrinkles at such a young age." I teased. He smiled for a couple seconds before a worried look was etched onto his face.

"You could visit your friends or your family." I shook my head and took another sip of my tea.

"I have none." It went quiet and the only sound that filled the room was the sound of me putting my cup down onto the tray.

"You have no family or friends?" He asked in disbelief.

"I never put myself out there in school, I always kept to myself and stayed out of everyones way."

"What about your family?" He finished the last bite of his sandwich and washed it down with a couple gulps of tea. He picked up a crisp and looked intrigued but disturbed with the taste of it.

"My mother died when I was young, I don't really remember her. I never actually knew my father, I could have family out there, but I never met my mothers side or at least I don't think I did, I can't remember them."

"Would you like to meet your father?" I took a bite out of my sandwich. I thought about what he asked. Would I?

"Would I like to meet my father?" I repeated his question out loud but mostly saying it to myself. "I don't really know. If I did I would ask him why he abandoned my mum when she was pregnant and why he never reached out while my mum was alive and when she died. I have a feeling he knew she died but he might not have." I sighed. "Let's not talk about me anymore. I should get back to work."

"You haven't eaten much. Please stay, I want you to eat it all."

"Why do you care if I eat or not? I'm just another staff member, you can easily replace me." He looks take aback by my question, it looked like he was trying to form and answer but couldn't find one. "You don't need to answer." I picked up his plate and put his left over crisps on my plate and slid it underneath mine, I checked his cup and found it was empty, I picked up the tray and turned to leave.

"Marley wait." I turned back around and saw he was staring at me, his eyes had that burning fire they had earlier that made me blush. He stood from his chair and walked around the desk and stood in front of me. "You're not just staff." He brushed a hair out of my face that had fallen out of my bun earlier on. He cleared his throat and I stepped out of the trance I was in. "Like I said earlier, come back once you have finished your shift."

"I finish at 11."

"Come back when you have finished your shift." He told me again as if I hadn't heard him the first time.

"Like I said I finish at 11. You will be asleep by then." I repeated.

"Finish earlier."

"I can't."

"I am your boss. I am telling you to finish earlier, come here. 7pm. Sharp." He demanded.

"Yes, Sir." I muttered. I turned away from him and walked out of his office.