Chapter 16

Marley Lea

Once I told him I was going to tell him what happened over the past two and a half years he instantly got up and boiled the kettle. Once he was finished making the tear he pulled out a bottle of brandy and sat back down. "Do you want some?"

"Yeah, go on then. Let loose a little." I giggled. He poured about a cap full of brandy into my tea and then he poured about four cap fulls of brandy into his. "Wow I thought I would be the one that would need that much brandy."

"Sorry I'm just getting prepared. I wasn't expecting you to tell me anything tonight." He clasped his hands together over the cup and brought it up to his lips, once he brought the cup away his lips were wet and taunting, he had stubble shadowing his jaw. 

"I don't know how you can look so good while drinking some tea." I groaned. 

"If you start fantasising about me we may not get to you telling me anything." He teased. 

"I'll stop now then because I don't know if I will have the courage to tell you another day." I stood from my chair and went over to the cupboard and pulled out a pot of carrot baby food. I went back to my chair and took the baby spoon off of the counter and tore of the lid on the pot. I exhaled sharply and started feeding Rhys. 

"Mary-Jane had a caravan at this trailer park, there wasn't many people but they were good company to have while I was there. It was only supposed to be a temporary thing but no one hired me while I was pregnant because I would have been going on maternity leave in a couple of months. With getting Rhys clothes and stuff for his room, along with other necessities for him the wages I earned here ran out quickly. I started asking Mary-Jane if I could borrow some money, I asked Tyler and May if I could borrow some, I started feeling like a Burden so I stopped asking. 

"That was when I met Curtis, he was actually a really nice guy at first, he had money and it attracted me to him. I'm not a gold digger but I needed money to pay for the bills so I could be a good mum to Rhys. Curtis was understanding that I was in trouble with money and he loaned me a couple thousand, which turned into another couple thousand and it didn't stop. 

"After I had Rhys, I thought my life was turning up the right way, I finally landed myself a job in a café the wages weren't great but it was something. I started to pay Curtis back, when I met up with him to give him the first instalment he told I didn't need to pay him back. I felt like I had to so I told him I would anything to show him how grateful I was. He took me out on a date, one date turned into two and that turned into three and soon after that we were dating. 

"About a month into our relationship he started drinking, a lot. He was going out gambling and he was losing a lot of money, before I knew it he was coming back to the caravan demanding for money and when I had none, well let's just say it didn't turn out well for me." I gave him a toothless smile. "Once he lost everything he started to use me as a bet, it was the only way he could pay them and get out of any debts. 

"I had to live on Rhys's food, it wasn't much but after a while I guess you just get used to it. When I started to put him on solid foods I would let him eat and then eat the left overs. During the day if, I could, I would bring home some food so I could share it with Rhys but at night, I would ask the neighbours if they could watch Rhys and I would go to the club with Curtis. I would get taken to the back room and I would have to wait for the men, I would be sat there in a clothing that barely covered me. 

"Curtis started to win a few games and I was hoping that it would mean I wouldn't have to use my body to get him out of trouble, but that didn't happen. They started coming to my place and I would have to make sure Rhys was with the neighbours, but one night I was feeding Rhys and they just came in, I had no time to take Rhys to the neighbours so one of them took him out of my arms and looked after him until it was their turn.