• forty five •

Long chapter alert 🤗

Shoutout to @crystalandsparkle 😊

"Even looking at you is making me tired." Phoenix spoke as she watched Chris put together her new IKEA dresser. Although she was enjoying the view of her shirtless ex lifting and screwing together parts of the dresser, she also felt exhausted at the thought of having to do all of that work alone. She was grateful that Chris was willing to spend his night assembling furniture for her when he could've been doing literally anything else. "But my view is pretty nice."

"Oh really?" Chris turned back toward his bed, where Phoenix was laying comfortably with one of his hoodies on. They had arrived back in Boston just a couple days prior and only a week after Chris had asked her come with him. Because he wanted to at least attempt to replicate certain features from Phoenix's bedroom at home, he had bought some of the exact things and furniture she had in Los Angeles. It was his way of making sure she settled into Boston alright.

"You look good shirtless, Evans. But you already knew that."

"Come here for a second."

Phoenix obeyed and made her way over to where Chris was sitting on the floor, surrounded by a bunch of different pieces. She plopped down on his lap right away, wrapping her arms around his neck afterwards. Immediately, the pair was met by Ghost and Dodger who proceeded to bombard them with doggie kisses.

"My mom wants to meet for lunch tomorrow." He informed while stroking the back of her head. "I think we should tell her about the pregnancy."

"I thought we'd wait to tell everyone until after week 12, when the risk of miscarriage is lower."

"I can't hide this from my mom though Phoenix. Plus, she's going to be around a lot when I'm on set. I don't want you to be here alone."

"I'm in my first trimester still AND I'm an adult. I don't need constant supervision right now." Phoenix frowned. "Honestly, I don't feel comfortable telling anyone yet. All I can ask is for you to respect that and not say anything until I'm ready. I mean, my mom and sister don't even know yet."

"Of course I'll respect that." Chris nodded. "I don't want you to feel rushed or pressured to say anything. I'm good with any timeframe you decide on."

"Thank you." She grinned before inching her face toward his until their lips met.

"Careful honeybee, you're starting to treat me like your boyfriend again." He teased.

"Would that be such a bad thing?"

"Let's say hypothetically that I asked you to be my girlfriend sometime in the near future... what would you say?"

"I'd say girlfriend isn't enough. You'd have to make me an Evans at this point with all the shit we've gone through." She replied jokingly. "I need a better title."

Rather than replying, Chris kissed her once more, allowing his lips to linger against her own before opening his mouth to receive her tongue. As he passionately kissed his love, he forced himself to brush off Phoenix's comment. He had asked her about marriage so many times before with the end result being the same. Each time it was even brought up during their almost two and a half year long relationship, things went to shit and Chris just didn't want to go down that rabbit hole again.

At the sound of a knock at the door, the pair pulled away with Chris still peppering kisses on her face. By then, Ghost and Dodger had already ran to the door and were waiting for someone to open it.

"Are you expecting someone?"

"I'm not but maybe it's Scott." Chris shrugged. "I texted the whole family as soon as we got back and I still haven't seen them."