four

♡ ♡ ♡

"so... when you say soulmates.. do you mean like, 'you're the love of my life' type shit? like the shit our parents say?" "yeah, basically."

"define soulmate to me please?" "a soulmate is someone who.. you don't even have to tell them something, they already know. someone who knows you better than you know yourself. someone who except you for all your faults, someone who makes you a better person."

"the proper definition for it is just a person ideally suited to another as a close friend or romantic partner. but that's not entirely true. a soulmate is your best friend, but more. someone who makes you want to be a better person. for me.. i know my soulmate is jack. it's always been jack. and i think, corbyn might be yours."

"but even if he is.. he'd never take me back now. i hurt him, zach. i broke his heart and left him alone in the airport. even if he did take me back, he's in california, we're in texas. it wouldn't work."

"daniel, one thing about soulmates is that... they love each other so much that they know everything will be alright, that it will work out. because it's fate for them to be together, so they know that no matter what happens to them, they'll come back to each other."

daniel let out a deep sigh as he continued to stare at the ceiling. zach mimicked his actions as he too layed down on the window seat and stared up at the ceiling, tossing a random tennis ball up and catching it repeatedly.

before you ask why he has a tennis ball, it's because of times like these, when they aren't entirely doing anything, just talking. zach has a need to move, he can't exactly sit still for long, so tossing a ball in the air gives him that feeling of movement and he's okay.

"i should probably get home.. thanks for the talk zach." daniel mumbled as he began to get off the boy's bed. starting toward the door, zach spoke up.

"you know how.. on tombstones, they have the date of when the person was born and when they died." "yeah, what about it?"

"you know how there's usually a line in between them on the stone?" "yeah.." "that's your whole life. everything you do, or didn't do, everything you said, or wanted to say but didn't. it's all in that line." zach said. "what's your point?"

"we all have a choice to make, we get to choose how we make our line. is it a good one, or a bad one. is it one where you're happy? or sad? is it one where you're angry? we get one life. one line. i know how i want to spend it. what about you?"

zach never made eye contact with him, didn't even move from his position. he stayed staring at the ceiling, tossing the tennis ball. "i want to have a good line. i want jack to have a good line, i want the same for you. for jonah, for lyndsey, and for corbyn. no one deserves to have a bad line."

"not everyone has the same life as us zach. not everyone is going to have a good line." "i believe that's because of how they were raised. people make bad choices because they weren't properly taught what the difference was. we're lucky. our parents taught us well. they raised us nicely. we know what dumb choices are, so we don't take them. well, not all the time anyway."

"but when we do, we do it because we want to take risks. other people may make themselves a bad line because they don't know the difference. they were brought up in a good way, or maybe they were and they wanted something different."

"all i know.. is that, that line between the dates, that's all we've got. we should make it count. good outcome or not, good choice or not, we need to take risks. ones that include telling people how we feel when we feel it. i spent almost three years keeping my feelings inside. i wasted three years in my line on keeping my love for someone locked away. don't make that same choice. take care of your line. make it a good one."

as zach finished talking, daniel turned and left. when he got back to his own room, he leaned against the door and let zach's words hit him. he was right, that line is way too precious to waste on not telling someone your feelings. but how would he tell corbyn?

he wouldn't want to see daniel. and it was the school year, they both had classes, it's not like the summer. it's not like they live close to each other, he can't go over to corbyn's place after school and confess his feelings in hopes that they were returned.

daniel would have to fly out there, and if corbyn didn't reciprocate, daniel would have flown out for nothing. it's a tough choice. but if he wants to have a good line like zach said, he's going to have to make the right choice while still taking a risk.

and to do that, he knew he would need zach's help. he knew he couldn't do it alone. he needed his best friend's help to get corbyn back to him.