sixteen

♡ ♡ ♡

"look, a long time ago.. around when we were ten. your grandmother passed away–" "oh, yeah i remember that." zach looked down sadly.

"you were so broken, and i had sworn to myself that i would never, ever, let you feel that way ever again. i swore that i would do everything in my power to keep you from heartache."

"and that worked for a little while, clearly. it seemed to work for seven years. but now, instead of keeping you from heartache, i was the one that caused it. i'm sorry."

zach smiled lightly, sitting up and placing his hands on either side of jack's face. "hey.. i appreciate that and i think that is very sweet. but you need to know that you can't shield me from everything."

"i know but–" "no buts. jack you can't shield me from everything. not anymore. i love how protective you are of me. it's really sweet. but you need to let go now, okay? i'll be fine."

"i just... i don't want to see you hurting. because that hurts me. i– zach you are way too kind, and pure, to be hurting, and the fact that i caused that for you, it kills me." jack held a pained expression, unable to even being himself to look zach in the eyes.

zach giggled softly, "jack... okay, as much as you're going to hate this... this wasn't the first time i was hurting because of you." "what?! what did i do? when? zach, fuck, i'm so sorry."

"jack relax!" zach laughed at his boyfriend as the boy freaked out. "it was before we were together. i felt like i was dying inside everyday because you were always going around and messing around with these gorgeous, supermodel thin girls, and these attractive guys and i was so in love with you and you never noticed."

"i should have noticed sooner." "it doesn't matter if you didn't noticed until i told you, what i'm trying to say is that.. everytime you hooked up with someone, it hurt. because all i wanted was to be the one you were kissing, but i wasn't."

jack finally brought himself to look the boy in the eyes, "i will never kiss anyone else. only you." he smiled. "i can work with that." the brunette giggled.

"your kisses are the best in the world, i can never get enough of them." zach smirked before leaning in and leaving a quick peck to jack's lips.

he made sure to pull back before jack could even have the time to kiss back. "woah that's not fair, i didn't get to kiss you." jack pouted. "that was the point." zach giggled.

"do you think daniel's actually gonna go see corbyn?" jack wondered, "if he doesn't i'm gonna beat him." zach joked.

zach felt that daniel deserved to be happy, and it seems that corbyn was the only one daniel was actually happy to be with.

daniel was at his happiest when he was with corbyn. so it never made sense to zach when daniel broke it off.

he saw how much more daniel would smile when he was with the blonde, he saw how kind he was with him. in all the years they've known each other, in all the time that daniel has hooked up with someone, or had a fling with someone, zach has never seen him act the way he did with corbyn.

which is why he believed that daniel didn't want it to just be a sumer fling. he thought that maybe that's just what daniel wanted to tell himself to make an excuse for this.

zach has a feeling that daniel didn't want to accept that he was actually in love with someone, so he excused it as a summer fling. but zach knows that it was more.

and now daniel is finally admitting that it might have been more. zach thinks it's kind of funny, how the roles are now switched.

it used to always be zach who would rant to daniel about his feelings toward jack. everything that came with it too. and now it's daniel who's ranting to zach all the time about corbyn, and everything that comes with his feelings toward the blonde.

if zach can do something to help the boy get back with corbyn, then he was going to do it. he was determined to do this for him.

as a way of saying thank you for putting up with him constantly ranting about jack.

"i love you." jack whispered, pecking his lips sweetly. "i love you too." jack sighed, bringing the brunette close to him as he cuddled the boy.

"believe me when i say that i am so thankful for the summer." "why?" zach wondered, "are you kidding me?"

"i got you! honestly, i think that if daniel and corbyn never met, i don't think we would have gotten together."

"i don't believe that. i think we would have, just maybe not the way we did." zach rebuttals. "really? because if they never met, then we wouldn't have gone to the pier that night with them and jonah, and we wouldn't have gone of those rides, i wouldn't have annoyed you by trying to hook you up with jonah and you wouldn't have had that outburst where you told me how you felt and i wouldn't have kissed you."

"well... i guess you're right, but i still think we would have gotten together, just not like that."