twenty seven

♡ ♡ ♡

zach hasn't wanted to go back to the school, but he had to. he had to keep his grades up. missing his classes would look terrible on his transcript.

he can't have that. he needs to get into university. he needs to get in to harvard. it's his dream school. if he didn't get in he'd probably die.

but the thing he was most afraid of with going back to school, was going into the writer's craft room.

or maybe it was the looks he would get from everyone.

everyone in the school knew that he was the target. they gave him stares again. they thought of him as the kid who was supposed to die. he was supposed to die, not ross birmingham.

"zach, baby, you're gonna be just fine. if you need me at any point in the day, just text me okay? i'll be right there."

the brunette nodded, opening the car door to step out toward the school. jack was quick to come to his side, connecting their hands.

as they walked in the front doors, jack pulled him even closer, listening to all the kids whispering. "don't listen to them love, they don't matter." he whispered to him.

the boys stopped at jack's locker and zach continuously looked around nervously. "zach, please.. you're going to be okay. if anything happens you just text me, i'll be there right away."

"what if they're right?" zach whispered briskly, "excuse me?" jack furrowed his eyebrow, concerningly looking at his boyfriend.

"i just mean... what if they're all right? i mean, ross is dead because of me–" "don't you dare say that. it is not because of you. i don't care what anyone says, it is not because of you. babe.. he was going to kill you, you can't think like this, it's not good for you."

"i just– jack what if... i just feel like it should have been me." zach kept a whisper, nervous to speak too loud.

"how could you say that? zach, listen to me... your time isn't up yet. remember that line you're always talking about, your line isn't finished yet."

"there are still so much more you have to achieve in your life. you still have to get through harvard, get your degree. become the best writer in the world–" "thats impossible, stephen king and j.k. rowling can never be beaten."

"okay whatever. my point is that, you aren't done in this world yet. so you can't think like this, you can't let them get to you. it's not good for you, you'll plummet and i would be the shittiest boyfriend in the world if i let you get that low. so block them out. they don't matter."

zach cracked a small smile, "i love you." he said to the curly boy, "i love you so much more. now go be the smartest kid in the class, and i'll see you at lunch." jack pecked his lips swiftly as the bell rang for them to separate for classes.

the day seemed to go okay for zach, not too many people in his classes said things, and when they did, the teachers shot them down. knowing that he was the kid who had his life endangered in the shooting.

but it didn't go as well for daniel. griffin had been blowing up his phone, he was getting a little possessive and daniel didn't like it.

daniel's always felt like if he was in a relationship, he needed to still be free. he couldn't be strangled, he needed someone who would let him be. if he doesn't want to talk, they wouldn't force him to talk, if he didn't feel like hanging out, they don't push him to hang out.

he needed someone who won't force him into anything, who lets him do what he wants, and doesn't strangle him with their constant closeness.

he needed someone like corbyn. because corbyn was somewhat free-spirited like daniel. corbyn never drowned him with his presence. corbyn never forced him to do anything he didn't want to.

corbyn was what daniel needed, but how is he supposed to tell him that? i mean he did already sing to him about how he was feeling but would corbyn really say yes to being with daniel again?

"daniel! babe, hey. why are you ignoring me? i've been calling and texting you, you won't answer." griffin asked him as he approached the boy who was standing with his friends.

"i-i didn't have my phone, sorry." daniel lied, "oh, okay. well don't forget, i'm picking you up tonight for dinner."

daniel lightly nudged zach's side for help like they had talked about, "uhm actually griffin, i'm sorry i need daniel's help tonight. he promised he'd help me with some work i had." zach fibbed.

impressively well i might add. zach's always been a terrible liar, he would always stutter and it would be a clear giveaway, but he pulled it off this time.

"can't jack help you? why are you taking my boyfriend from me?" griffin fought with him.

"why are you taking my best friend from me?" zach crossed his arms, raising an eyebrow, very annoyed by griffin's attitude. "i want to spend time with my boyfriend–"

"yeah but he has a prior commitment to me and we don't break our promises to each other, so sorry but he can't go out tonight."

zach took daniel's arm and walked away toward the cafeteria.