Chapter 3

That Friday Ashley took Josh to the state fair and he talked Noel into going along. Josh tried to get him to ride some rides, but Noel refused so Josh went to go stand in a long line for a ride and Noel and Ashley sat on a bench to wait. She was wearing a tank top and it made her scar more noticeable. Noel decided to ask her about it. 

"What happened to your neck?" 

Her hand went up to the scar and she frowned.

"I'm sorry, thats none of my business."

"No, its ok." She glanced at him and put her hand down and continued.

"Lets just say, prince charming turned out to be a monster."

"Josh's dad?"

"No, he left when Josh was 4 and I haven't heard from him since, this was a guy I was dating last year."

"I'm sorry."

She shrugged her shoulders and looked at him.

"I'm just glad it was me and not Josh."

"How long were you dating this guy?"

"A year. I thought he was the one, until he decided to show his true colors. He was like the perfect man at first, a gentleman, Josh loved him, Ali loved him, everyone loved him. He had everyone fooled. I felt so stupid." She burst into tears and put her hands over her face. She didnt want Noel to see her cry.

"It's ok Ash, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked." Noel said quietly and put his arm around her shoulder. She rested her head on his shoulder and wiped her eyes as she took a deep breath then raised her head.

"Its ok, its over and we are ok now." She forced a smile.

Noel gave her a smile back then stood up and offered his hand.

"D'ya want some ice cream?"

She took his hand and stood up. They got ice cream cones and stood eating them as Josh walked up.

"Hey, wheres mine?" He said when he saw the cones.

"Here have the rest of mine" Ashley handed him her cone and he finished it off in about 3 bites. They walked around looking at things and eating some food then went home as the fair lights lit the night sky. Ashley pulled up to Noel's house in the darkness. Josh had fallen asleep in the back seat. Noel unbuckled his seat belt and looked at Ashley.

"Thanks, that was actually kinda fun."

"It was" she smiled.

They sat for a moment in silence. Ashley looked out the window and up at the stars in the sky.
"Sometimes I wish I could live on Mars." She said as her eyes looked up into the sky. Noel looked at her and thought to himself how beautiful she was. She turned to look at him and saw his eyes go to her lips and her smile faded. His eyes met hers and she felt her heart beating fast.

"Goodnight" he said softly and opened the door.

"Goodnight" she answered so quietly that he probably didn't even hear. She watched him walk up to the front door and go inside. She sighed and laid her head back on the headrest of her car for a second then drove home. 

Monday, Josh started school. Ashley had changed her hours at work and now only worked 3 days a week. She sat at the kitchen table drinking some coffee after Josh had gone to school. She heard the doorbell and got up to answer the door and was surprised to see Noel standing there. 

"Noel? What are you doing here?"

"Is Josh not coming?"

"He started school today, he's not here."