Chapter 9

Ashley sat on her porch step waiting for Noel to pick her up. They had made plans to go see a movie. It was her birthday, but she didn't tell Noel because she hated the attention everyone gave you on your birthday. Plus she was turning 35 and feeling old. She shivered in the cold winter air. He pulled up a few minutes later and she climbed into his car.

"Aren't you cold?" He asked.

"A little" she smiled at him.

She thought he looked extra handsome for some reason. 

"Ready?"

"I'm ready."

Noel drove and Ashley noticed they were going the wrong direction. 

"Where are you going, the movies are that way?" She pointed behind them.

"There's been a slight change in plans."

"Why? What are we doing?"

He glanced at her and smiled.

"Did you really think you'd get away with not telling me it's your birthday today?"

She closed her eyes and put her head back then looked at him.

"Who told you?"

"Josh."

"Of course." She shook her head and looked at him.

"So what are we doing?"

"It's a surprise." He grinned as they pulled up to his house.

"Tell me!"

"Come on."

He got out of the car and she followed him inside the house. They went into the living room and she saw a guitar laying against the couch. He picked it up and looked at her.

"Have a seat."

She sat on the couch and he sat next to her with the guitar. He started playing then he started singing.

"Maybe I don't really wanna know

How your garden grows

Cause i just want to fly..."

She sat and listened to him playing and singing and she felt goosebumps. She thought he sounded great and she suddenly felt very emotional. She wiped away a tear as she watched him. He finished the song and looked at her and she smiled.

"Wow, that was amazing. Thank you."

He put his guitar down and leaned over and kissed her lips gently then looked at her.

"Happy birthday Ash."

"Thanks"

"Ok now on to your second gift." He stood up.