Chapter 14

Josh looked at his mom then at Noel, then at Noel's shirt in his hand, then back at Noel, then back at his mom. He knew what they had been up to. 

"What are you doing here honey, I thought you were coming home tonight."

"Change of plans" He glared at his mom.

Ashley tried to think of an excuse as to why Noel would be in her room shirtless, but couldn't think of any. 

"You promised me mom, you're going to ruin everything. And what about Mark?" His voice shook with anger. 

Noel and Ashley glanced at each other then both looked down. 

"I can't believe this. I hate you!" He screamed at his mom.

"Josh" Noel started and Josh glared at him. 

"I thought you were my friend. This whole time you were probably just using me to get in her bed."

"Josh, thats not true, we are friends." Noel said sternly.

"Fuck you!" 

"Josh!" His mom gave him a stern look.

He shook his head at Noel and stormed off to his room and slammed the door shut. Just then Ashley's phone rang. 

"Yeah?"

"Hey, sorry I forgot to call you and tell you we were coming earlier. Just calling to make sure Josh got in ok and you knew he was home."

"Yeah"

"Ok, well I gotta go, I'll call you later."

"Ok, bye."

She hung up and sighed. Noel put his shirt on and buttoned it up. Ashley walked him to the door and he put his shoes on. They looked at each other and Ashley felt sad. She knew things were really over between them now.

"This is why we can't be together, can you see that now?"

"He'll get over it."

"Goodbye Noel."

"So that's it? You're not gonna even try?"

"Just go Noel."

"Right. Goodbye Ashley."

He turned and walked out the door and she felt tears running down her cheeks. She shut the door then went to her room and climbed into bed. She pulled the blanket up around her and cried harder than she had cried in awhile.

Josh ignored her the rest of the day and she felt awful. She tried to talk to him but he pretended he didn't even see her. She decided to give him some space and try again in a couple days. Noel tried to call and text Josh, but he didn't answer or reply. Mark came back Tuesday and Ashley picked him up at the airport. She almost broke up with him right then, but it felt comforting to be in his arms and it was close to Christmas so she decided to wait, and felt extremely selfish for it. She dropped Mark off at his house and went home. Josh was sitting at the kitchen table. 

She was surprised when he said

"Did you tell him?"