Chapter 25

A few days later Ashley was at Ali's house for dinner. Josh was sleeping over with Scott that night. They were in his room playing video games. Dylan had fallen asleep and Ashley laid her in Ali's bed. As Ashley and Ali finished up the dishes, the doorbell rang.

"Who's that?" Ashley looked at her sister.

"I didn't tell you? Noel and Selena are coming over to play some poker."

Ashley's heart began racing.

"No, you didn't mention that."

"Is that ok?"

"Yeah." She tried to act cool and followed Ali to answer the door.

"Hi, come in." Ali smiled at them.

They stepped inside and Ali closed the door. Selena handed her a bottle of wine. "This was left over from Noel's birthday."

Noel and Ashley shared a glance.

"Oh thank you!" Ali smiled

Selena followed her into the kitchen and Noel looked at Ashley.

"We need to talk." He said quietly.

"About?"

"Listen, the other night was a mistake. Let's pretend it never happened, ok?"

They looked at each other then Noel went into the kitchen. Ashley followed and they all sat at the table. Ali poured them all some wine and they started to play the game. They played for awhile then ended up just sitting and talking. The radio was on and they talked and laughed. Ashley and Noel exchanged looks all night but neither Ali or Selena seemed to notice. Ashley got up to get some more wine. She stood at the kitchen counter and filled her glass then stood there watching. Selena was sitting in Noel's lap as they talked to Ali. As Ashley watched them, a song came on the radio. As she listened to the lyrics, she suddenly felt emotions bubbling up.

...Damn, I wish I was your lover
I'd rock you 'til the daylight comes
Made sure you are smiling and warm
I am everything, tonight, I'll be your mother
I'll do such things to ease your pain
Free your mind, and you won't feel ashamed
Shucks, for me there is no other
You're the only shoe that fits
I can't imagine I'll grow out of it
Damn, I wish I was your lover....

She felt tears form in her eyes then roll down her cheek. She quickly wiped them away and walked out of the kitchen into the spare bedroom down the hall.

"Ash? You ok?" Ali called.

She closed the bedroom door and sat on the bed and tried to calm herself down.

Noel, Selena, and Ali looked at each other.

"I'll go check on her." Ali stood up.

"No, I'll go." Noel said.

"Ok.

She sat down and Selena stood up from Noel's lap. He stood up and looked at Selena.

"Be right back."

She sat down at the table and Noel walked to the guest room. He knocked gently and opened the door. He stepped inside and closed the door behind him.

Ashley looked at him as he walked over to the bed. He kneeled down in front of her.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"I can't do this anymore."

"Do what?"

"Pretend it doesn't kill me everytime I see you with her." More tears streamed down her face.

He looked into her eyes.

"Ash."

He wiped the tears from her cheek.

"I can't do it Noel."

He hated seeing her so upset.

"What d'ya want me to do?"

Their eyes studied each other for a minute then he leaned in and kissed her. She kissed him back as his hands went to her cheeks. He held her face gently as they kissed then he pulled back. Their eyes met then he pressed his forehead against hers. He clenched his jaw then pulled away, kissed her forehead, and stood up. She looked up at him, her eyes still wet from tears.

"Goodnight Ashley." He said quietly then turned and walked out the door.

He walked back into the kitchen.

"Is she ok?" Selena asked.

"Yeah, she's just tired. Come on let's go."

"Oh ok." She stood up.

"Thanks for having us." She smiled at Ali.

"Thanks for coming." She smiled back.

They left and Ali went to check on Ashley. She found her laying on the bed.

"You ok?" Ali said as she sat on the edge of the bed.

"Yeah."

"It's still hard to see him with her isn't it?"

"Yeah."

"You're still in love with him."

Ashley nodded and the tears started again. Ali laid down next to her, hugged her, and just let her cry.

*Song inspirations