Chapter 22

One night Dylan was being extra fussy. She had a tooth coming in and had been extra needy for the last couple days. Ashley finally got her to sleep then walked to the living room and sat on the couch by Noel, who was watching tv. 

"She's finally asleep."

He looked at her and thought to himself how amazing of a woman she was. 

She looked at him.

"What?"

"You're a great mom Ash."

"Thanks. You're a great dad."

"I try." He shrugged and she chuckled. 

"I was fuckin' terrified of being a dad, but now I kinda regret not havin' a kid sooner."

"Yeah?"

"A little bit, yeah."

They looked at each other. His eyes lingered on her lips before looking away. Ashley kept her eyes on him. His hair was getting long and crazy and she smiled to herself as she studied him. The lines on his face, his nose that was bent, his beautiful blue eyes. She thought he was a beautiful man. Her eyes went to his chest. Some chest hair peaked out of his shirt. She looked at his hand resting on the couch next to her. She thought back to how much pleasure his hands had given her in the past. Her eyes went back to his face and his eyes met hers. Her heart pounded in her chest and she wanted him bad. She leaned in and kissed him. He pulled back and looked at her then he lunged forward, pushing her back onto the couch as they kissed. Ashley's whole body tingled. She hadn't kissed anyone in a long time. Noel grinded against her and Ashley moaned quietly. Then suddenly, Noel broke their kiss and sat up. Ashley sat up too and looked at him. They both were breathing heavy. 

"I can't. I'm with Selena now." He breathed.

She felt so stupid. 

"I'm sorry." She said quietly and got up and walked to her room. She shut the door and climbed into her bed and cried quietly. Noel sat there on the couch trying to cool down. He almost went to see if Ashley was ok, but talked himself out of it. He sighed and closed his eyes as he laid his head back on the couch.

"Fuck." He whispered then tried to go to sleep. Neither of them slept very good. The next morning Ashley sat at the kitchen table drinking coffee. Dylan was in her bouncy seat on the floor next to her. Noel walked into the kitchen. He glanced at her then looked away and went to pour himself some coffee.

Ashley felt embarrassed. He sat down at the table and took a sip of coffee.

"Good morning." She forced herself to say something. 

"Morning." 

They sat there in silence for a minute then Noel looked at her.

"I'm sorry about last night."

She looked at him. 

"For what?"

"I mean I wanted to. Fuckin' 'ell, we did have great sex, but I can't Ashley. I might be a million things, but I'm not a cheater."

"Really? I seem to remember having sex with you numerous times when I was with Mark."

"That was you cheating not me."

She glared at him. 

"That's not fair."

"Sorry." He said softly then looked at her.

"I think we're better as friends ok? I don't want to fuck this up."

Ashley looked at him.

"I've been thinking and I think you should stop staying here."

"What?"

"Dylan usually sleeps through the night now. We can manage without you. You should go back to sleeping at your house."

"She's my daughter too Ash."

"I know. You can still see her, but you can't stay here anymore."

He looked down at Dylan and she squealed and smiled at him. 

"Don't you think we should talk about it?"

"No, I made up my mind. It's for the best."

He looked hurt as he stood and walked over to Dylan. He reached down and patted her head then turned to Ashley.

"You can't just make decisions all by yourself. She is just as much mine as she is yours."

"Noel, I'm not saying you can't see her."

"So what, I'll see her only on weekends? Fuck that."

He stared at her then left. A week passed. She texted him and called but he never responded. She was starting to believe he had left for good and they wouldn't see him again until she got a letter in the mail. It was from an attorney. Noel was taking her to court for custody. She couldn't believe it. She tried to call him, but he didn't answer. She called Ali.

"Can you come stay with Dylan for a little bit? I have to go talk to Noel. I just got a letter saying he was taking me to court for custody."

"What? That's ridiculous."

"I know. He won't answer my texts or calls."

"Ok, I'll be right over."

She arrived 10 minutes later and Ashley drove to Noel's house. She went to the door and knocked. He answered a few minutes later.

"How could you?" 

"It's for the best." He sighed.

"We don't have to go to court Noel, we can just figure out an arrangement."

"I think it's better to have it in writing."

"You know I would never keep her from you."

Selena walked into the room and stood by Noel. 

"He also wants a paternity test." She stared at Ashley.

Ashley looked at Noel.

"Are you fucking serious? She looks just like you!"

Noel and Selena just looked at her.

"Fine. See you court." She yelled and left.

*song inspirations