Chapter 11

Over the next couple months, Ashley and Mark started dating and they were getting really close. He got along great with Josh and Ali loved him too. Noel and Ashley didnt hangout anymore and their interaction was limited to brief hellos when he would pick up Josh to take him somewhere. Things were going really good and Ashley was happy. At least she tried to tell herself she was, but she missed Noel and thought of him everytime she looked at her ring, which rested on her finger everyday. Mark didn't really understand Ashley and Noel's relationship. Ashley did not tell him that they had had sex just that they were friends and he was a kind of mentor for Josh. Mark sensed there was something more there, but didn't ask Ashley about it. A few days before Josh's 15th birthday, Mark, Ashley and Josh were sitting at the table eating dinner. 

"So what did you want to do for your birthday?" Ashley asked Josh.

"I don't know. Just stay home I guess."

"Well you can pick dinner and I can make a cake "

"Ok. Can I ask Noel to come?"

"Oh." She looked at him and wasn't sure what to say. Mark and Josh both looked at her. 

"I guess, yeah." She shrugged.

"Yes!" Josh said quietly. 

"So I finally get to meet this Noel."

"He's so cool." Josh looked at Mark.

Ashley quickly changed the subject.

"So Mark was saying they are opening an arcade downtown with all kinds of video games. Maybe you guys could go sometime."

"Yeah that'd be cool." Josh said.

After dinner, Josh called Noel.

"Ello"

"Hey, can you come over for dinner for my birthday on Saturday?"

"I dunno. I uh." He tried to think up an excuse, but couldn't.

"Please. You haven't come over in awhile."

"Is it ok with your mom?"

"Yeah, she said it was fine."

"Ok, yeah I can come."

"Great. See you Saturday."

"Ok"

"Bye."

"Bye."

Josh's birthday came and Ashley made him a big breakfast then took him out to lunch. Mark came over later and helped Ashley start dinner. Noel arrived a little while later and Josh answered the door.

"Hey"

"Ello" Noel gave him a small smile and pat on the shoulder.

He followed Josh into the kitchen. Mark and Ashley were standing by the oven. They looked up when they heard them come into the kitchen. Ashley smiled.

"Just in time!" 

Mark walked over to Noel and stuck his hand out.